Thread: Wow - I'm new - Is there a way to find out if a site is Internet or Intranet?

Question Wow - I'm new - Is there a way to find out if a site is Internet or Intranet?

Ok - before I get negged from here to Babylon:

0. My apologies - I should know this - I know that - but I don't and I need to ask
    1. I'm new at this - this being the process of filling the gaps of my IT and security knowledge I thought I already had - pathetic yet true
    2. I posted in the newbie security questions
    3. Also searching on Google as I type this - but I wanted expert advice asap
    4. It's Monday
    5. Me no have no caffeine yet - again, pathetic yet true

Ok now for the question - is there a way - via a scanner or whatever - to tell if a site is an Intranet or Internet site? Would it matter where on a network the server that hosts the site resides?

I just found (through Googling) this - which I will also be reviewing as soon as I post this:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_The...dExtranets.htm

Thanks in advance.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

This is all off the top of my head, so please, if I'm wrong let me know.

IntrAnet -> Private internal network. A company's intranet website (commonly know as a 'Portal') is only viewable via the internal network. This site is hosted on an internal web server(sometimes located in the DMZ) and only resovled by the internal DNS. More often then not the portal is accessible via the internet, but through an authentication process.

IntERnet -> Public network. A company has a website that is located in the DMZ and has a registered domain name. Public DNS resolve the ip.

Thats the major difference. An intranet site does not have a public IP, so scanning would be out of the option (as far as I know).
    Tachyon

|-----|Alcohol is my anti-drug |-----|

That site you posted answers it. Intranet is a local network, one used in your college, univ or sometimes by your ISP if you are using cable net. You can tell if you are on an intranet if your IP address starts with something like: 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. These are usually used for intranet or otherwise known as LAN.

Intranet site or internet site? I don't think there is such a thing. If somebody on your network makes his computer a webserver, then it's an intranet site .
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

Kwiep
    Do you just wanne know the difference between internet and intranet or do you actually meansomething else like... When you access a website how to tell if it's hosted on a machine directly connected to the internet or like on a network with some forwarding tricks or if it's on the network you are on currently (school work network) ?

Also get some balls man, you spent half yer post for appologising for nothing. If people would neg you for that question you might consider finding another website because you'd be to good for this website and visitting this website would be a total waste of time.
    Double Dutch

Thanks very much for your responses - very good information!

Yep - as soon as I posted I read the information from the link and doink - the light went off, I mean on!

Neel - as far as balls - got 'em - just *trying* to be less arrogant than I am in the real world - guess it was a bit much - sorry!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.