Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature - Acronym tags

AO Senior Cow-beller

Feature - Acronym tags

I am not certain how the engine behind AO validates text/code, nor how easy said engine is to modify/hack to make it do your will; this may be completely ridiculous to consider, or it may be relatively simple.

I'd like to see the ability to use Acronym tag's. Here's an example:

<acronym title="Rest In Peace">R.I.P.</acronym>

The result is text that looks similar to the text R.I.P. hyperlinked, but instead of having a new destination load, it simply causes a tooltip to appear with the words Rest In Peace in the box. You can see an example of it here. Simply mouse over the word CAD in the body of the post.

I feel this would be beneficial in so far as it would allow people to identify Acronym's for others easily. I know some site management plugins will automatically format acronyms as well, from a predefined list (that may be way too much for AO at this time.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Plus, it's one helluva lot more useful that "glowing text" or flipping/colorizing messages.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

As one of the ' newer members ' to the age of computers ( got my first computer about last August...been on the net about 11 months: September )I had a difficult time initially understanding the computer lingo and acronyms...
    foxyloxley helped me out in that regard...by giving me a list of acronyms to download.

So...I can see it's usefulness...LMAO...AFAIK...RTFM...etc...means nothing to someone just on board...and I'm still trying to get a handle on some of the computer acronyms that have popped up recently.

Eg

You have given out too many AntiPoints today, try again later.

Sounds like a good idea. Might help the newer members with terminology and learning the "lingo" I guess.
    Space For Rent.. =]

One of my early posts here was asking for explanation of wtf 1337 means
    An answer included rtfm
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Senior Cow-beller

ROTFLMAO

U dont no what l337 iz? OMFG what a n00b!

Hehe, amen, and STFW next time you have a stupid question...

Of course, I'm j/k with all of this, but it would be a very handy feature IMNSHO.

www.acronymfinder.com has had the answer to everyone of my searches so far!!
    Bookmark it! I work with govt/military and they have more acronyms than you can imagine. It's worked wonders for me during meetings. I actually know what they are referring to!
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I love that site! What I want, though, is the ability displayed at my original link. I want AO to do that if you create your post with the right tags, just like you do for bold or emphasized/italic text. It's a standard HTML tag (I believe) so I don't THINK it would be too hard to implement.

Now, I'm not asking for it to AUTOMATICALLY format these...that would be a lot more work and probably cause some false positive failures we don't want. But I'd like to be able to share with those less informed than I what I mean by STFU or KMHFA.

Come to think of it.. the AO DB backend might be able to 'catch' some acronyms and other jargon words and link to the apropriate jargon page automagicaly..

OTOH that might be seen as 'messing' with peoples posts..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Agreed, I'm not asking for the DB and PHP engine to go messing with posts. I simply want the ability to enter tags/info that display for a user, if they mouse over the word.