Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free XP for pirates?

Free XP for pirates?

Customers whose copies of Windows are found to be pirated have two options: send in a pirated CD and fill out a piracy form to receive a legitimate copy for no charge; or, in the case that there is no CD or proof of purchase, buy a new copy of Windows XP Home for $99 or Windows XP Professional for $149.
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/26/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

so who wants to be the fist to fill out a piracy form and get your free copy of XP? for some reason I dont trust this. lol
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I read that they could receive a legit copy for the reduced price once they fill out the piracy form. If they have proof of purchase its no charge.

cant recall where i read it though, i think /.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I believe the point is, you fill out the piracy form if you bought a copy of XP with good and proper intent, but ended up with a pirated version. I'm certain they will require some sort of proof-of-purchase/transaction.

Bought any XP disc's off eBay lately? That's what this is for. It's an attempt by MS to avoid the potentially huge negative fallout of their Genuine Advantage rollout, which will leave some poor saps who bought XP illegitimately (possibly without knowning it). Can you imagine buying a copy of XP, using it for 1-2 years, then being cut off and told "You pirated this! Bad hacker! BAD!!!"
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Re: Free XP for pirates?

Originally posted here by XTC46
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/26/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

so who wants to be the fist to fill out a piracy form and get your free copy of XP? for some reason I dont trust this. lol
    I see your quote and raise you one.

To get the free version of Windows, a customer must fill out a counterfeit report identifying the source of the software, provide a proof of purchase and send in a counterfeit CD of the software. If customers don't have all of that information, they can still fill out a counterfeit report and receive a copy of Windows XP Home Edition for $99 or a copy of Windows XP Professional Edition for $149, Lazar said.
    http://www.techworld.com/application...fm?NewsID=4102

The free version seems to be with copys where the customer paid for a legit copy and got ripped.

that makes sense.

just might cut down on people that pass around os cds.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I'm glad I bought my version from Best Buy

The free version seems to be with copys where the customer paid for a legit copy and got ripped.
    So whats to stop someone from selling themself a copy of windows at a retail price, and reporting that he got ripped? All you'd have to do is get a friend to do you a favor, and set up an ebay auction, then have him wire you the money back.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

AO Senior Cow-beller
    That would have to be a good friend...I'm sure Microsoft will follow up on as many of these as they can. Your friends are willing to take the rap on a software piracy distribution bust for you?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

All they have to do is say that they bought the copy somewhere else and Microsoft will go chasing their own tail lol.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    send in a pirated CD and fill out a piracy form to receive a legitimate copy for no charge;
    Nothing is for nothing. Computernerd22