winXP Pro problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winXP Pro problem

winXP Pro problem

i have a PC here that setup's a winXP Pro OS, has a 512 MB RAM, 64MB AGP VA running P4.
    now my problem is the unit that is running always hang-up in a little time.it has two partitions, the master is in NTFS and the other partitioned space is in FAT32.
    any suggestions to how can i run that OS well without hanging up?
    thank you.
    .sig na ture.

Hello Yatot ,

I have a few questions:

1. Does it usually hang after the same amount of time?
    2. Are you in Windows and using it when it hangs, or is it just after you have booted the machine?
    3. Does the same thing happen if you boot into safe mode? (F8 on startup) Try booting into safe mode and running "chkdsk" and the defragmenter. Also run your antivirus.

The usual causes of "hanging" are:

1. Spyware and adware
    2. Too many services and applications starting up automatically.
    3. A "deadly embrace" (two programs trying to use the same resources).

It may take some patience and trial and error, but I am 100% confident that we can resolve this

some answers:

1. no it doesn't...it hangs up on different time. the longest time it doesn't hang up is like 1 or half a minute.

2. sometime when i just got in the windows. and sometimes it hangs up when am already working or exploring the windows.

i just reformatted the disk and installed back the XP but the problem is still the same.
    i haven't tried some those things you recommend. i'll get here what will happen. thank you so much.
    .sig na ture.

Good Evening,

Quoting Nihil:

"2. Too many services and applications starting up automatically."
    "3. A "deadly embrace" (two programs trying to use the same resources)."

Well let’s see if we can find out wat’sup.

Have you entered “Safe Mode” to see if it still freezes up?

When your computer is in the boot process, press and hold the "F8 Key". This should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Hopefully it looks something like below:

Windows Advanced Options Menu
    Please select an option:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA mode
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
    Debugging Mode
    Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
    Scroll to “Safe Mode” using the arrows keys then press the Enter Key. You now have minimal services running. Leave it that way for a while and let us know if your system hangs (freezes) while in “Safe Mode”. If it doesn't hang, reboot normally.

Event Viewer in XP is helpful as well. Using it you can acquire info concerning software/hardware problems etc. After rebooting normally, use “Event Viewer”. Click on Start > click on Control Panel > click on Performance and Maintenance > click on Administrative Tools > and then dbl-click on Event Viewer. See any conflicts or unusual entrees?

Although I don’t believe we hear about them as much as we did in previous Windows OS’s, IRQ Conflicts can also be an issue in XP. A general description of how XP shares IRQ is Here: and a site with pretty good troubleshooting for IRQ conflicts: Here:

For more info about ”Event Viewer” Click Here

Let us know what you find out.

~cheers~

Edit: another little nightcap - do you have SP2 installed?
    Connection refused, try again later.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    It still hangs up even after you reformated it? Then it could be a heat issue... How many fans do you have running inside your box? Do you ever clean out the dust with a can of compressed air? I recommend you do so...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

the duck, yes it still hang but for a longer time now. it has two fans inside. one for the processor and one is for the video card. we already did the cleaning.

relyt, i'd be testing troubleshooting on IRQ conflicts. i'll let you all know whats gonna happen.
    no it doesn't have an SP2 yet bcoz everytime i did the update. the PC hangs up.
    .sig na ture.

You have forgotten the third fan.. in the PSU.. it is turning isnt it?

I encountered a intermittant system Lock prob this week, that had me stuffed.. installed a tool from the mobo manufacturer (ASUSProbe..yep ASUS is the MOBO manufacturer) .. it has a charting feature,.. bloody handy.. I found very quickly that the system was running a very high idle temp.. when the applications fired up.. the system would freeze in about 5 mins.. the CPU temp would rise from (a already high)45deg to 68-69degs..
    I place the same prog in 2 of the other 10 clones.. noticed a similar problem except the idel temp was 40degs.. but all jump up to the mid 60's.. but none of these crash.. cause winter heating in that one office .. and bloody poor case design.. the HDD temps were up in the 50's as well.. .. result cancell order for 10 more.. request replacement of the existing 12
    why that story?

You need to establish a base line..

If the faulkt is not happening in safemode....
    You could still have a thermal problem.. (thsoe pcs in the story.. run 24/7 the graph was almost flat line over night.. you could see when the pc started and and restarted and the temp it was at when it crashed.. ).. just how hot is it inside the case? (get everest .. or if the mobo is a ASUS.. asusprobe
    You also could have a driver problem.. video card is a good scapegoat..
    Memory problem.. mixed memory modules..compatability problem.. faulty mem module

It is good idea to check your system and software event logs in the Administration tools
    check for common errors in there.. ones that coincide with the lockups.. ..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by yatot
    the duck, yes it still hang but for a longer time now. it has two fans inside. one for the processor and one is for the video card. we already did the cleaning.

relyt, i'd be testing troubleshooting on IRQ conflicts. i'll let you all know whats gonna happen.
    no it doesn't have an SP2 yet bcoz everytime i did the update. the PC hangs up.
    Most common reasons for Windows XP Hang up just a minute or 2 after boot:

- Memory error
    - Mainboard Malfunction
    - Video card

Try this to find the problem:

a) run a memtest on that computer for about 10 hours and see if you get any error
    b) if you did some kind of overclock or "tweak" on bios parameters, load default settings
    c) if your video is AGP 8X, try to put on 4X. You dont get a lot of performance enhances on 8X anyway
    d) If you have an ASUS mainboard and you are using DDR 400 memories, be sure that the memory brand is on "ASUS compatibility list". If its not, change it do DDR 333.
    e) if you have a Soyo Dragon series mainboard, there is lot out there with problems.
    f) If you have an mainboard with VIA chipset and an NVIDIA videocard, do what Relyt said (safe mode) after a freeze and see if you find a mensage like that on event viewer:
    "Video driver stucked on a infinite loop"
    its a well known incompatibility of some NVIDIA card with VIA mainboards. There is ways to fix it, but you will need to google them because they may differ from board to board.

keep us updated about your progress!
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

hey guys,
    the problem was on hardware or the motherboard.
    i did just all the ways you've said and all ends up in hanging.
    i think the capacitors are the problems bcoz it doesn't looked like they used to.
    there was darkened part of it. maybe it overheated.
    anyways. i did change the mainboard and it runs well.
    that all ends up my problem. changing just the motherboard.

thank you so much guys for the help. a lot. .

-yatot
    .sig na ture.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    that all ends up my problem. changing just the motherboard.
    God loves the innocents
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone