Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mohterboard help......Please!

Mohterboard help......Please!

Hi, have a computer that locks at the bios version screen (where it says press F2 for help, etc.)
    Thought it was the board, installed a new board and first error message was CPU change faield or something to that effect, went into set up to change and found no option to do so.
    Now it goes into an endless booting loop, it runs throught the post and bios info and then starts over again and again, I cannot boot from any source.
    The box is running 2003 SB server, the old mobo was intel d865gbf, the new one is a biostar p4vm ver 7.8, also tried another board from another desktop and ran into the same booting problem. The board recognises all the drives but won't boot to them. any ideas?

Are the jumpers set correctly for cpu speed or are you trying to over-clock the cpu?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

not trying to overclock, cpu is 2.66 p4, in bois clock speed is set at 133, and can only enter a max of 165?. The biostar mobo came with very little documentation, the only jumpers on the board appear to be for audio.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    There should be a jumper next to or around the cmos battery. Try moving that one pin over, push the power button, it should NOT turn on, then switch it back and try starting it, it should now turn on... I'm sorry I really didn't get to read all of your post, I'm in a huge hurry...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

yep, already tried clearing cmos, talked to another tech and he thought maybe a cpu problem, try that I guess, thanks for your help.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well, it's not a dead cpu, maybe a faulty cpu... If the cpu were completely dead you wouldn't even make it to the splash screen, but I agree with the tech, try to switch out the cpu and see what happens, if nothing new happens then I really don't know... Could there be an incompatability between the new mobo and cpu? The fact that it goes through this endless booting loops is kind of strange... When it goes through POST do you hear any beep codes??
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well, did you try a new cpu yet? Now that I think of it, a faulty PSU will cause similar problems as well... possibly faulty ribbon cables as well, though I doubt it, it's not as likely as a faulty PSU...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Tried another cpu and works fine, put the "bad" cpu in another box and have been running it all morning

AFLAAACKKK!!
    So you put another cpu in the new mobo and it works fine, you put the old cpu in another mobo, and now that works fine to?? So... I think we can safely say at first it was a dead mobo, and then a matter of incompatability?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

that, or an intermittant problem that's going to have me pulling my hair out