Target: Iran
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target: Iran

Target: Iran

From yahoo.com:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House warned Iran on Thursday against resuming key work on its nuclear fuel cycle, saying it could prompt the United States and its European allies to pursue U.N. sanctions against Tehran.

On Wednesday outgoing Iranian President Mohammad Khatami said Iran would resume some work on its nuclear fuel cycle, which the West suspects is part of a clandestine effort to produce a bomb.

"Iran made some commitments to suspend their uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities. We expect them to abide by that commitment," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.

"If Iran is going to violate their agreements, then we would obviously be looking at discussing with (the) Europeans, who have also committed to doing so, looking at going to the (United Nations) Security Council," McClellan added.

Khatami said the nuclear fuel work would fall short of actually producing enriched uranium, but stressed that Iran would also ultimately resume its enrichment program.

Three European Union powers -- Britain, France and Germany -- plan to offer Iran a limited package of nuclear, economic and political incentives next week to give up suspect nuclear work.

But EU diplomats said the European offer was predicated on Iran agreeing to maintain indefinitely its suspension of uranium enrichment, nuclear fuel reprocessing and related activities.

Iran regards nuclear fuel cycle activities as a right under the Non-Proliferation Treaty, meant to prevent the spread of atomic weapons while allowing civilian nuclear work, and wants to be allowed to keep at least a pilot enrichment program.

Britain, France and Germany remain adamant, with strong U.S. backing, that they will agree to no enrichment or reprocessing activity.

"If they were to begin those activities again, they would be violating the commitment they made under the Paris agreement with the Europeans," McClellan said.

"And we have made it very clear that Iran has a history of hiding their nuclear activities from the international community. That is why it is so important that you have some confidence building measures, or objective guarantees, in place so that they show the international community that their nuclear program is not being used to develop weapons... under the cover of a civilian program," McClellan added.

So, what is everyones take on the entire situation over in Iran? What are your thoughts and opinions on how we should handle this situation and is it (in your opinion) an imminent threat?

My opinion: Iran needs to be handled with caution. They have capabilities and I personally don't like "playing defense" especially when it comes to nuclear programs. I think this issue should be addressed and dealt with in the matter that any possibly dangerous country that potentially poses a threat to us in THAT magnitude should be handled.

Your thoughts/reactions/opinions?
    Space For Rent.. =]

It appears that Iran is following the footsteps of North Korea and China. It's the new fad, "Nuclear Envy" and get on the news. They want to be recognized as a powerful nation with nukes or have the U. S. pour tons of money into their country to convince them otherwise.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Originally posted here by Relyt
    It appears that Iran is following the footsteps of North Korea and China. It's the new fad, "Nuclear Envy" and get on the news. They want to be recognized as a powerful nation with nukes or have the U. S. pour tons of money into their country to convince them otherwise.

~cheers~
    Yeap, some nukes can change the status of a nation on the world. Every day we listen more news about this "new atomic era".
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Iran, Iraq, lybia, syria and many other countries have been working on developing nuclear weapons for many years. it's not anything new. i cant say as i really blame any of them, if everyone in the neighborhood is waving big sticks around id be out looking for a big stick of my own to wave around. but there's just too many reasons not to allow them to get them and for the same reasons we cant get rid of our own.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Got ourselves in mess now and I'm not yet strong enough with the force to use the Jedi mind trick on them!

Connection refused, try again later.

Well, I personally look at Iran with alot of alarm. The recent election of a hardliner was pretty disconcerting; however, given the juryrigging done by the ... crap can't think of the term (the ruling ayatollahs) ... I am not suprised. I think we would be better off letting them implode, the popular support (especially with the younger generations) was largely turning against the rulers, I think the worst thing the US could do would be to threaten Iran (not unlike here, the fastest way to bring us together is to have an external entity threaten us); however, I don't know if we would be left with much of a choice if Iran put their nuclear program on the fast track...On the other hand I don't know if they would do anything overly stupid at the moment with 170K US soldiers right across the border....And on the other foot (out of hands now) our Army is pretty extended at the moment, wouldn't be pretty to get in another large scale engagement and would leave us pretty much screwed if North Korea did something rash (which I would consider much more likely unless China starts turning the screws there)...

Dunno...could get interesting if Iran keeps going down the road it recently announced.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Iran won't do anything...they don't have to...they're already fighting the US without the attached problems...either by supplying financial aid or sympathetic gurellias to Iraq...don't think for one moment that they're not.

North Korea, Syria, Libya, etc...are not problems either....nor is China.

I'd be more worried about our friends than our enemies.

The biggest threat in the world right now are two of our friends: Pakistan and India...they are very suspicious of each other...both are nuclear powers...both very capable of screwing up...if one of them screws up we could be looking at the biggest disaster to ever hit mankind.

These two friends are our biggest threat.

In the middle east everyone is trying to acquire nuclear weapons in order to face the Isralian threat, and in order to balance the power in the Mideast .... so they are living phobias .... I can't plame them .... as US is not balancing its policy toward the everlasting Arab-Israel conflisct .... if everyone started to acquire nuclear weapons EARTH would be really on the edges of demolition ...
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    As I mentioned above...

India, which has fought three wars with Pakistan, has said the deal upsets the balance of power in the region.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4732637.stm
    BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan 'to receive F-16s soon'

With 85 nuclear weapons between them and the fact they've gone to war three times already in recent history...they are the ones to watch...very closely.

I have defended Nuclear proliferation to the the extreme. But I wonder. Lets just give them all nukes and see what happens? We might get a couple, but if we wanted to we could stop them from getting here so why not? The world is always complaining about isreal and the unfair balance of power in the middle east. They don' care about stability so leak the technology. Heck they'll even do us a favor and take out the seats of left handed cooks. New York, L.A., Miami, you name it. Asta La Vista.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.