Thread: Image transmission!

Image transmission!

hia fellas

i jst finished with creating a project (for my summer training) titled "Error Detection and Correction using Hamming Code", i hope u know what it exactly is! During my presentation, one of my professors asked me a question. It was:

How can i send an image thru a network?

Well, I replied to it and said that it was an implementation of Steganography!(Jst a wild guess) and the errors that occur will be rectified by the algorithm itself. Hopefully, my teacher not knowing much abt it agreed to me.......

But, i really want to know now, that how n image is transmitted thru a network?? Is it converted into bit?How? or Is it already in terms of bits?

Pardon me if this is the wrong place for the question!!

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

What do you mean how is it sent through a network ? In Binary data of course, like everything else in the PC world . Or do you mean How-How it's sent, e-mail ? Direct Connect ? Folder-Sharing ?

Well, I replied to it and said that it was an implementation of Steganography!
    Umm, Steganography is when you hide data inside an image, like a text file into an image, thats not how it is sent....
    O.G at A.O

hi Copyright

i know that image is sent in terms of binary form!
    what i m askin is how an image converted into a binary form....what kinda process goes on!

i feel lucky my prof. didnt knew anythin abt steganography!! lol
    CodeNameVirus

I think you might want to read how bit and bytes work to understand that process...

this is a good site: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes.htm

Dont miss the link at the bottom "Next Page", there are like 10 pages to read...
    O.G at A.O

Hi,

Please take a look at this:

http://www.ee.unb.ca/tervo/ee4253/hamming.htm

Basically your steganography tool splits up your message and embeds it in your image which is then transmitted as binary. Just like a regular picture.

On receipt the image is decompressed according to whatever codec was used (jpeg etc..). The steganography tool then decrypts (if applicable) and reassembles the message.

If you have used hamming code you have added additional verification/checksum bytes that will potentially allow the tool to reconstruct damaged parts of the message.

Hope that answers your question

What type of image?

Raw files are a list of values that you specify "depth" of the colour. You can therefore transfer these as an array of data. The person using the raw file must no the dimensions to succesfully rearrange the raw file to the correct dimensions.

Jpegs, Gifs, and Bitmaps contain a header that describes the file, the number of bytes to represent depth and dimensions. some of the file types also contain compression which is dealt with by the program, effectivly converting the data into an array.

The conversion is simple, usually the data is represented in terms of hex or numbers. colours with a depth of 255 is only that many colours. but if you consider we have RGB (red, green, blue) you have 255, 255, 255 leading to allot of possible colours, and also 3 needed values per pixel displayed.

the conversion to binary is simple and im surprised you have encounted it already, I feel prehaps you are complicating things in your head when you do truely understand how it works! I know thats what I do on many an occasion!

hope that makes sense - it really is very simple

i2c

hi fellas
    copyright, nihil ur links were very educational now i know what it exactly means!
    and i2c, thnx for the further information.....may be i was complicating things!!!
    CodeNameVirus