Thread: Broken Palm M100

Broken Palm M100

Hello,
    I have a Palm M100 and it does not work right. It will turn on, but the screen is always black. I have tried to take it apart, and when I did, the screen began working but it turned black again when I closed it. If anyone has any advice on this PDA, please help.
    Thanks,
    Major Tierce

Banned
    Yeah, simple advise... Buy a new one...

If it's warrenty is still valid, go back to the shop where you bought it, but don't mention there that you opened your device because then your warrenty would be void.
    Also, in some countries, even after the warrenty expired, you might still claim back some of the money that you've paid for it if the device broke within it's expected lifespan. Washing machines, for example, should be able to work for 10 to 15 years, yet the warrenty is often a few years. If you can prove that it broke down after just regular usage (e.g. twice a week or so.) right after the warrenty expired yet within the expected lifespan, then in some countries your warrenty would still be partly valid. However, you will have to pay for repairs, but if the device is completely broken, you might ask back some of the money you paid for it, since you expected it to be usable for 15 years, not 5.
    But with a PDA, well... If the warrenty expired and it breaks down, it's generally time to buy a new one because having it repaired could be as expensive as a new system.

Hmm,

Sounds like something is getting trapped or having pressure put on it?

If it is not under warranty try releasing the tension on the screws gradually and see if it works then.

Otherwise open it up and check the connections to the screen, and that nothing is obviously pressing down on anything.

I would agree that it is probably not worth getting repaired.

Katja,
    Thank you for your help, but I bought this on eBay, so I have no warranty. It is actually my sisters, I have a Sony Clie NX80V, a lot better than Palm M100....haha....but thank you for taking your time to help a noob like me...haha
    Major Tierce

Edit Did not see Nihil's message, but I will try that thanks
    This plan is frocking nuts!

I loosened it up and it works just fine now, thanks for the advice. Maybe its worth $5 now...lol....
    Major Tierce
    This plan is frocking nuts!

You are welcome, and thanks for the feedback

Actually overtightening is a problem people building their first computer sometimes come across. Not a good idea with the motherboard or the drives.

If I am in doubt I use a product called "Locktite" that we have over here. It is designed for vibration situations to prevent things working lose. With computers you can probably get away with a small blob of clear household adhesive on the screw threads.

Banned
    Wow... $5? Hope you make a profit if you'd sell it for that amount.