Thread: Need advice on web hosting and pricing

Need advice on web hosting and pricing

Hi!

I need to find a host for a PHP/MySQL site, which will allow for an automatic e-mails to be sent from the site.

I'm working on a project that's almost done, so looking for somewhere to put it on. Don't want to host it on my computer, although I'll be looking afgter the site, it's not my personal one.

Second question is more related to UK.

I am going to do some freelance work while at uni to suplement my income, so I hoped some one could give me some pointers on how much should I charge on small and medium sized projects. I plan to charge per project rather then per hour. I am also not going to go into big projects as me and my partner will have a full time devotion to other things.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Isn't there anyone who uses any hosting companies?

I looked on Google, but there are a lot of them there, that's why I'm looking for your opinions.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I used to use GoDaddy.com, one of the biggest domain registrars around. They are cheap...and you get what you pay for.

I switched to www.BlueHost.com for slightly more per month...but MUCH better support. The only downside of Bluehost is the pricing/payment schedule. To get the best pricing, you have to sign up for 12-18 months...and pay in advance. It was easy for me to do now, but 10 years ago, as a college student, it would have been impossible.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

\"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm presently using Korax.net and have been using them since 98 I think. Much like zencoder, it's cheaper to pay on a yearly basis than quarterly (which is what I presently do) but I've gotten great service from them, fast customer service replies and rarely, if ever, downtime. (I use webhosting and mail list services from them).

Personally, I look for local, small business provider that is reliable (which is why I went with Korax -- small, local company but rock solid and not interested in being superhuge).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hey Hey,

I PM'd you with my answers, but I'll post them here just to add to the list...

I can give you a year's hosting for $50 or 25GBP/year... Unfortuntunately you don't want to go with something small.... not sure why when it saves a great deal of money...

Anyways, since that's the case I recommend 1and1.com for the name... or RCBIntegrated.com because it's local (to me), I do support for them and they're very reliable.

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

I PM'd you with my answers, but I'll post them here just to add to the list...

I can give you a year's hosting for $50 or 25GBP/year... Unfortuntunately you don't want to go with something small.... not sure why when it saves a great deal of money...

Anyways, since that's the case I recommend 1and1.com for the name... or RCBIntegrated.com because it's local (to me), I do support for them and they're very reliable.

Peace,
    HT
    As I wrote to you, the hosting is not for me personaly, and my customer will want to go for established business. There are a few reasons for them to do this. As for me it was very nice to recieve your offer

Black Cluster

Please, read carefuly posts of others before posting.

Everyone Else

Thank you very much for your advise and coments. I'll sure check all of this companies out.