Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta

Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta

For those who use this application, it expired on 31st July.

You can get a new version from Microsoft, but you have to go through the genuine product registration process.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Funny... Mine automagically updated itself...

Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.615
    This version expires on: 12/31/2005
    Spyware Definition Version: 5737 (7/29/2005 8:22:25 AM)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

No idea,

I suggest if you use it try running it. If you get an expired warning you need to get an update. If not, then it must have updated itself?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Personally, I wouldn't bother. Ever since the crap with Claria*cough*cough*GATOR*cough* came up, I've gone 180degrees on MS (wink, nod, hint). They are way, WAY beyond trustworthy IMHO.

http://www.benedelman.org/news/063005-1.html

Spyware S&D and Lavasoft Ad-Aware work pretty well for me.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Yeah, not to mention the updates and definitions for both Ad-Aware and Spyware S&D are both better, more relient, and secure (to me atleast) then Microsoft's updates for it's application. Just my two cents..
    Space For Rent.. =]

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I have never even used MS antispyware for 2 reasons. One it's still in beta testing, and 2 it's not reliable, from what I'v heard...

Why use a beta if spybot and adaware do everything MS can do and more?? I'm sorry but I'm gonna have mixed feelings about MS antispyware for a while, it has done a poor job convincing me that I need that software...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Why use a beta if spybot and adaware do everything MS can do and more??
    Beta...as in the testing version..you know, for test purposes. So they can FIX the bugs...im happy there are many people who use Beta...if there wonrt all final software would suck. its not meant to be perfect, and you shouldnt use it alone. Although this is a beta release of what was a good product before the buy out.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Ever since the crap with Claria*cough*cough*GATOR*cough*
    100 percent agreed
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

i would much rather use iolo technologies version of a spyware killer, i have found that they don't dick around when it comes to finding any kind of spyware, whether it be keyloggers or malware.

www.iolo.com

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by The Duck
    I have never even used MS antispyware for 2 reasons. One it's still in beta testing, and 2 it's not reliable, from what I'v heard...

Why use a beta if spybot and adaware do everything MS can do and more?? I'm sorry but I'm gonna have mixed feelings about MS antispyware for a while, it has done a poor job convincing me that I need that software...
    I actually was a fan of it at first. I liked the way it would notify you real time of things, not unlike an AV scanner or hostFW. I have more of a problem with their business practices and such, and will refuse to use it if given a choice, now.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Microsoft sucks anyways...even if it is only beta crap...