Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Acme Keylogger

Trace Hacker Husband

I am certain my estranged husband installed PC Acme Keylogger onto my wireless laptop. Spy Doctor anti-spyware found it.

The question is, how can I locate the hacker's IP Address, to link it directly to my spouse?

T3h Ch3F

Question

Who other than you has access to your laptop ?
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Good Evening,

There are a multitude of different ways to install a keylogger and most of them don't involve a hacker. Additionally, no telling how long it has been there. Fortunately Spy Doctor found it for you! As far a linking it directly to your estranged, that's most likely not going to happen. The old days of the IP leading to a person/exact location have all but perished. An example is my IP Address is dynamically assigned, meaning it changes everytime I reboot my ADSL Modem, but even if you resolved any of my IP's they indicate a location that is over 200 miles away from my actual location. Additionally, your ISP will not give out personally information about the IP assignment without a court order.

I note that you said, "wireless laptop". Does he have access to the same wireless access point (router)?

Anyway, I believe the best course of action is to get the local police involved if it happens again. It is stalking, harrassment, and probably violates several other laws. If it does show up again, don't delete the keylogger. Rather take your laptop to the cop shop and let them see it for themselves. Heck you might want to go down there in advance and talk with them to what they can do for you.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

The program you mentioned can be set to email logs out. Have a look at the setting in the program an see. Have a look through the 'sent' folder of your email program. You might just see a message that would tell you everything you need.

Another possibility is that he somehow has physical access to the box. In that case *you* need to use a keylogger, or better a surveilance camera.

Good luck. And please report back.

From Sus: Thank you for your reply RELYT. You are very knowledgable about this subject. I have already called the cops, filed a report, and have a call out to the county attorney. As for evidence, I printed out the Spy Doctor report, detailing the PC Acme infection. Question: In Event Viewer, I noticed 13 anonymous log on USERs since June 29th? Is that the source?

Tomorrow, I am having a tech expert come over to see if he can trace the attack source, but based on what you say, I shouldn't get my hopes up. I wonder, though, if we do a "System Restore" whether we can look into the source better???
    Thanks. Sus

I think only my estranged has access to the wireless, and, based on some nasty things he's done to me, i.e. disconnected my phone, threatened to take away my car, closed accounts, etc...I am certain he's the source.

hesperus: I can't look at the PC ACME program because Spy Doctor removed it. Do you think if my computer wizard did a "system restore" to the day of destruction, that might allow me to do that action?

Also, why would I find my files in my email sent folder? I think he has logged onto a PC Acme server which contains my computer files, passwords and such, by simply typing in password, on his end.

Thirdly, I think he had physical access to my computer on the day the Judge opted not to extend the domestic abuse protection order, allowing him freedom to enter the house.

I did hear though, that he could have emailed the keylogger with an invisible attachment.

Anyhow, thank you. More imput is greatly appreciated. I still hope to locate source of IP Address. Any suggestions?

The best thing to do now is unplug your computer and wait for the professionals.

In any case :

It is not so simple as just typing in a password on his end and having access to your computer. This is called a 'back door' and requires a seperate program -- one that your antispyware software should have picked up. As far as I can see the keylogger doesn't itself allow this, though I stand to be corrected. What this program does is save logs off all your keystrokes. And :

Log file can be optionally sent via e-mail to specified address (or saved to specified shared resource in LAN environment) for further inspection and analysis (NET and PRO versions only).
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...Acme-Pro.shtml

If he is doing it the easy way, then he has configured it to send him emails of the logs, presumably through your email address. If so, then they will be stored in your 'sent' folder.

Originally posted here by hesperus

If he is doing it the easy way, then he has configured it to send him emails of the logs, presumably through your email address. If so, then they will be stored in your 'sent' folder.

No so, if the key logger is using its own smtp or pop3 engine, it is not (necessarily) using the client email client. The email client software saves a copy of sent mail, not the mail protocol itself. I have not looked into the specific key logger. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

edit:
    The best thing to do now is unplug your computer and wait for the professionals.
    BEST ADVICE!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Sends out logs by FTP or email
    http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-pc-acme.html

Thanks, dinowuff.

Sus,

I think only my estranged has access to the wireless, and, based on some nasty things he's done to me, i.e. disconnected my phone, threatened to take away my car, closed accounts, etc...I am certain he's the source.
    Unfortunately I graduated from the University of Evil Ex’s as well. And the things you have listed are almost verbatim the actions I experienced. They must be relatives or have compared notes!

Anyway it sounds like you are definitely on the right track with law enforcement and if he still has access as you say, then he can and will most likely continue his deeds until they cuff him.

I noticed 13 anonymous log on USERs since June 29th?
    I would assume that he can still access the doggone thing and don't do anything you wouldn't want him to see. If you can, don't let him know that you are on to his game.

Make sure you let the tech know you want to preserve evidence for legal action. He/she should be able to help you out a bunch.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.