Thread: Kaspersky debuts Linux antivirus in the U.S.

Kaspersky debuts Linux antivirus in the U.S.

Kaspersky Lab is expanding further into the American market with the U.S. debut of its antivirus software for Linux and Unix e-mail servers, file servers and workstations.

Moscow-based Kaspersky announced Monday that it has launched the corporate products in the United States. It has sold them in Europe for the past six years.

"Linux products are much more prevalent in Europe. But as Linux comes more and more online in the United States, there is a greater need for protection against malicious code," said Randy Drawas, a Kaspersky Lab spokesman.
    http://news.com.com/Kaspersky+debuts...3-5813773.html
    Kaspersky debuts Linux antivirus in the U.S. | CNET News.com

Hmmmm, I have been watching this over the past few years, and it is really quite interesting.

If you actually look at these products and check what they are supposed to detect, you find that 98% (or better) just would not run in a *nix environment. It is all Windows stuff.

The idea is to close any gaps in a mixed Windows/*nix environment, so Windows malware does not get passed on to Windows boxes.

It certainly makes some sense to me. Although I would question implementation at the workstation level if I had it at the mailserver and fileserver levels.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I don't know anything about Kasperski's products, but my take was this was server based only?

Am I wrong? What about Clam AV? I've got to admit ignorance to most AV on *Nix solutions out there.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

your right zencoder this is for mail servers as is the avg av for linux. clamav does not offer real time protection but it appears that for now (today only... and we really cant be sure about today) it's not really necessary.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

This is from Kaspersky:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus version 5.5 is designed to protect e-mail servers, file servers and workstations running on Linux, Free BSD and Open BSD operating systems, the security company said. The upgraded version features real-time scanning technology called Kavmonitor that aims to identify and quarantine suspicious objects.
    So it is also a desktop client system as well.

I have one running on my Linspire desktop...........not sure which, but as I do not connect it to any Windows boxes, that is pretty moot.

Putting the package on a mail server would protect from mail-borne vectors, the workstation installation would protect from sneakernet infestations.

[edit]
    BTW, I'm still seeing floppy/Zip/CD infestations of AntiEXE, AntiCMOS and others--some even coming from Mac-formatted media.
    [/edit]