Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HardDrive Protection

You would probable be interested in this tidd-bit of information.

There is a security solution that basicaly sits between the HD and Mobo and encrypts the data as it comes onto the disk, and decrypts it when it goes to the mobo. The encryption key is stored on a smart-card which makes the disk totaly unbootable without the smartcard. (The circuit on the IDE has a 3.5" port for the smartcard.). I am not sure if this solution if for sale at the moment/ any longer. Though, if you knew a bit about electronics, you could fairly easily make your own, atleast it would deter the more simple of intrustions if home made.

Last I heard it was bringing in military interest, Though I am not sure if this the case any longer.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Although nothing really compares to physically removing the harddrive, you can still have a solid data privacy solution through public key harddrive encryption, or dongle based encryption, for example: h**p://www.winmagic.com/product_info/securedoc/prod_info.asp

Although I have only been using securedoc for a little while now, it is good enough for my needs -- I figure anything that is "certified by the NSA ", is reviewed as a "smart" security product by Bruce Schneier, follows PKCS #11 specs and that has aquired FIPS 140-1 level 2 validation is good enough for me!

Or, for open source fans out there, AES whole disk encryption is still available with TrueCrypt.
    "On-the-fly encryption software, which can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real disk. It can also encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such as USB memory stick. TrueCrypt supports plausible deniability."
    h**p://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Even PGP Corp. has made a whole disk encryption solution... ironcally enough, called PGP Whole Disk. This product is only available in the desktop professional and universal editions as an "included feature." I haven't seen too many reviews on it, but i have heard it is $199!
    h**p://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/professional/index.html

Nevertheless, while physically removing a harddrive does still remain as the most secure solution, it may not always be the most practical -- i.e.: for laptop users, home users, etc...
    [gloworange]hacked![/gloworange]

Originally posted here by click

Although I have only been using securedoc for a little while now, it is good enough for my needs -- I figure anything that is "certified by the NSA ", is reviewed as a "smart" security product by Bruce Schneier, follows PKCS #11 specs and that has aquired FIPS 140-1 level 2 validation is good enough for me!
    Maybe thats because they want you to use it, makes it easier on them :P *Spooky music*
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Just a thought, is your system all in NTFS? Do you have diferent users? Or they use the same user, with access to all your system.

If your are not under a DC, you can't provide much virtual security to your hard-drive, the best solution would be, to get that box, where you get the hard-drive from your Pc. In my opinion thats the best solutions and the best security you can have at this moment. Even if you encript all of your hard-drive, they can still get around that encription.
    This is like that famous question "How can i stop Hackers to hacking my system? or how can i have the ultimate security solution?" The answer is always the same: "Unplug your Pc from the Internet". So if you want security, unplug your hard-drive from your computer.

If you had a DC, you could Virtualy Deny there access to your hard-drive, denying access permissions.