Yet Another Graphics Card post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Graphics Card post

Yet Another Graphics Card post

I am looking to buy a new graphics card to replace my current ATI Radeon 9200. After searching this forum and google I made several observations, it seems nvidia is more popular, possibly beter preformance, and that the newest technology PCIX is possibly the way to go to keep up with things. My mobo has only AGP and PCI so I think without buying a new mobo my best choice is a AGP card. But I also read that you need to make sure the card will be suported by the mobo, how would I find that out.

What I plan on doing with the card is 3D modleing and 3D gameing. My 3D modleing program blender has poor preformance with ATI cards. I wanted to know weather anyone hear could tell me what card you own, and what you think about it. Im prity sure nvidia would be what I need. I am compareing two cards of nvidia at the moment, one on sale and possibly out of stock I have to check

BFG Tech GeForce MX 4000, 128MB AGP Graphics Card
    BFG Tech GeForce FX 5700LE OC, 256MB AGP Graphics Card

what do you think to the top one, since I only need to be able to play my games and make my 3D modles without any slowness. How would I even find out weather either one of these cards would work with my old Biostar M6VCF socket 370 currently worth about 40 dollars.

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO ATI drivers are unstable

Some of our graphics design applications cannot use MX technologies

I suggest contacting the software vendor and seeing what they recommend

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi Sposes old chap, sorry to have to say this but your question is wrong way round. It is the way you might look at things if you were building a new box, but you are obviously wanting to upgrade existing kit.

The secret with that is BALANCE there is absolutely no point in putting a super dooper video card in a mediocre box, it is just a waste of money, as all the components have to support and complement one another.

Your motherboard has an FSB of 133Mhz and supports PC133 SDR RAM, both of which are on the old and slow side by today's standards. From your profile I get:

Your Current Box Celeron 1GHz W/ 256MB RAM
    And you are running Windows XP on that? AND TRYING TO RUN GAMES AND GRAPHICAL MODELLING

1. You need a complete new computer.

2. To improve that which you have, the most obvious (and value for money) move is to increase your RAM. Windows XP runs pretty leisurely with 256Mb, it really isn't enough for anything other than very basic office-type functions.

I would personally want no less than 512Mb in an XP box and preferably 1Gb.

How many RAM slots have you, and how many are occupied?

Cheers

I have 4 slots total and useing 2. So you realy think a new mobo and cpu is what my focus should be right now? If I do say get a asus mobo or something and slap 512 in it with maybe a 2GHz, useing my current ATI 9200 do you think id get more preformance out of the card? or sould I also need a new card.

Edit: I thought I remembered seeing 4 RAM slots but when i see my board on the site, it obviousely only has 3, wow my board is old.

You would undoubtably see a better across the board improvement in performance from upgrading your CPU/motherboard, since this will speed up all parts of your computing system, rather than just in the graphics area. As far as the ATI vs Nvidia thing goes, to me it always seems more like a religious argument than anything, the cards are pretty comparable and its hard to go wrong with either (although I would have to agree that ATIs drivers have been at times lacking), but I will encourage you to do your homework on the card.

Really good example:
    (from tom's hardware):
    Card Chipset Onboard Memory DirectX Generation Chipclock Memory clock Buswidth Pipelines

Radeon X800 XT PE R423 256MB DX 9.0b 520 1120 256 bit 16
    Radeon X800 XT R423 256MB DX 9.0b 500 1000 256 bit 16
    Radeon X800 Pro R423 256MB DX 9.0b 475 900 256 bit 12
    Radeon X800 XL R430 512MB DX 9.0b 400 1000 256 bit 16
    Radeon X800 XL R430 256MB DX 9.0b 400 1000 256 bit 16
    Radeon X800 R430 256MB DX 9.0b 390 700 256 bit 12
    You'll notice they are all ATI Radeon X800 cards...however, the CPU varies from 390 to 520 Mhz, the memory from 700 to 1120 Mhz and the pipelines vary from 12 to 16. Another thing to keep in mind is that just because the number is higher does NOT mean the performance is better, I strongly recommend you look at sites like Toms Hardware to compare performance. I think you will be able to find a decently priced card that has the right balance of price and performance.

As far as the card selection itself goes, I would say if you are going to drop the dough on a card, go PCI-E since its the way things are going. And I would disagree with the above poster, if you can get a kick ass card that works in your system (in this case pci-e won't), then when you upgrade your system later you won't need a new card and you can add some life to an older system by offloading more onto the newer card.

I think you would get more bang for the buck with a cpu/memory/mb upgrade, but don't forget about other things like the power supply (the newer mbs have a different supply than a few years ago)...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Old Fart
    I'll have to side with nihil on this one. You have a video card that will out-perform your m/b. You have a bottleneck as far as your RAM and your CPU are concerned. I'd seriously consider heading over to www.pricewatch.com to do some shopping for both a m/b and RAM. Give the socket 939 AMD products a look as they offer a longer upgrade curve ( they accept both single and dual core CPUs ) than Intel does at present. PCIe is really going to be great but AGP will give you acceptable performance for the next 6 to 12 months.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

OK, please take a look here:

http://www.memoryx.net/bim6mome32.html

If it is a Biostar M6VCF it only has THREE memory slots, supports 256Mb strips for a maximum of 768Mb.

My view would be along these lines:

1. new motherboard.
    2. new processor
    3. new memory
    4. New power supply unit.
    5. I would guess the hard drive only spins at 5400RPM? so I would want a new on of those.
    6. new video card

You can probably re-use the CD drive and certainly the floppy and the case but they cost nothing these days, compared to the rest of the components.

Let's face it, you need a whole new box.

You currently have two 128Mb strips I would suggest that you add another 256Mb which will take you up to 512Mb, so you should get a marked performance improvement. That is about the best you can do with what you have, in my opinion.

Cheers

Alrighty so I have decided that ill buy new mobo, cpu and ram and see if the card upgrade is nessisary, since it soulds like I might not be getting all the preformance my card has to offer.

Ive just spent a hour looking at motherboards and found a referbished KVM266PM-U Motherboard With AMD XP2200 CPU for $100 and some change

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/...p?pcode=MA2200
    http://www.clickonit.com/Motherboard...ron/195290.php

I notice it has the AGP but not the PCIe or PCIX. What would be your opinions?

Ive just spent a hour looking at motherboards and found a referbished KVM266PM-U Motherboard With AMD XP2200 CPU for $100 and some change
    I notice it has the AGP but not the PCIe or PCIX. What would be your opinions?
    Well, the technology is much more modern than that which you have, but the PCIe/PCIX technology is something for your next machine

Please remember that you will need adequate RAM (it will support single channel DDR, and I would guess PC2700, but please check) and you really need to look at the power supply, as I doubt if it will be adequate, and if it fails it could take the MoBo RAM and processor with it.

Also, you should have a 7200 RPM hard drive as your "C"............you could use the old one for storage/backup/infrequent applications? Unless, of course, your current one is 7200. Otherwise you will create a bottleneck.

I am sure that your overall performance will be much better, and the video card will deliver its full potential, which it cannot be doing at the moment.

It is hard to determine what the best advice is, but over here I would replace the video card with one much less powerful (32Mb PCI?) leave the memory, replace WinXP with Win98SE. Stick a 15" monitor and a standard keyboard and mouse on it, and sell it for about CAN $200. Then spend the money on my "new box"

Good luck!

The Hard drive is 7200 40GB, the power suply is Form ATX, the power output I will have to check. The case suports ATX and ATX mini, I have 1 DVD ROM, 1 CD RW, 1 FDD and of cource the HDD. I was just reading about socket types and CPU's and learned that 478 suports Celeron D and Pent 4, and Socket A suports AMD Athlon XP. Is going with an Intel chip or an AMD chip another one of these great religious debaits? Just saw the board I was looking at has one left but another local retailer has much more mobo/CPU combos available. Seems for the budget, $150 does not buy me the PCI express, but does get me AGP 8x.

Ive also been eyeing the eyecandy over at alienware.com but unfortunately I will need to find a job before I get one of those babies so I was thinking either a Socket 478 or socket A, but seems the Socket A is rather limiting as it suports only AMD? I have alot of homework to do before I buy, Im prity far behind in the hardware scene.

What about this mobo?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...M-7VT600P-3000

Should give me beter preformance then im curently getting?