Thread: connecting to the internet via a cellphone

connecting to the internet via a cellphone

I'd like to get rid of my landline and use my cellphone to access the internet on my laptop. My mobile service provider says I can use my phone as a modem via special software and USB cable ($20 extra a month plus initial cost for software).

Is there a way to dial up via my cellphone, using my computer modem and dialing up the same number I use to dial up via my landline?

sberkovic1,

I used to connect my laptop to the internet via cellphone all the time. I had to purchase an adapter cable for the cellphone and it came with the software. The program would dial up my ISP and the cellphone became the modem. Downside - SLOW connection, it was only about 28K. I'm sure that has changed by now because I did it about 3 years ago while taking college courses and traveling.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

But....is there a way to use my laptop's modem rather than a cellphone's modem? I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid the monthly fee.

If you buy the USB/Firewire/etc cable, and connect it to your phone, you shouldn't have any other fees than the calling of the ISPs number... Which could be quite a bit if it was long distance or something...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Thanks. That's what I'd like to do (no, long-distance calling isn't an issue: I dial up a local number).

Do you have any idea how it works, how I'd set up my computer to use my cell phone instead of my landline? How would my modem 'know' to use the USB to my cell rather than the phone line? Do you have any experience with this?

If you have XP, it will automatically find your phone when its plugged in via usb... It will basically act like a modem. It won't be part of your other modem. You set it up the same as a modem.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.