US police pursue girl over stone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US police pursue girl over stone

US police pursue girl over stone

Must be a fairly dangerous criminal if it takes 3 cars and a helicopter to arrest her. I still think holding her for 5 days without allowing her to see her parents for more than 5 minutes a tiny bit excessive.

An 11-year-old girl who threw a stone at a group of boys pelting her with water balloons is being prosecuted on serious assault charges in California.
    Maribel Cuevas was arrested in April in a police operation which involved three police cars and a helicopter.

She has since spent five days in detention, in which she was granted one 30 minute visit by her parents, and has spent a month under house arrest.

Her lawyer accuses the authorities of criminalising childhood behaviour.

"They're treating her like a violent parole offender," Richard Beshwate said. "It's not a felony, it's an 11-year-old acting like an 11-year-old."

The girl is due back in court at the beginning of next month.

Police say they had to investigate as the boy who was hit by the stone she threw suffered a deep gash to his head and needed hospital treatment.

He has reportedly acknowledged to officers that he started the fight in late April.

'Obligation'

The confrontation happened in a poor district of Fresno, in central California, where Maribel Cuevas lives with her Spanish-speaking family.

The girl, who speaks little English, has admitted throwing a stone at a group of boys she says were pestering her with water balloons as she walked down the street.

An ambulance was called, but arrived flanked by three police patrol vehicles. A helicopter meanwhile hovered overhead.

The 11-year-old was then read her rights twice in English before being detained.

"We responded. We determined a felony assault had taken place and the officers took the actions that were necessary," said Fresno Police Sergeant Anthony Martinez.

Another police officer told ABC News that the girl, when asked what she thought would happen if she threw the stone, replied that it would make him "bleed".
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Geez. So if a kid pelts another with a baseball during a game does it make it assault with a deadly weapon? No wonder kids stay inside and play video games -- they'd get arrested going outside and being kids...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If she used a baseball bat they probably would have called in the SWAT teams. I will say i am glad that she lives in an area that is so crime free they are able to send out three cars and a helicopter to sort out a fight between pre-teens. I hope spokes-person for the police felt like a right **** while trying to justify this one.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Yeah, I think the punishment was a bit extensive.

I wonder what the 911 call sounded like for 3 cop cars and a helicopter to show up.
    Someone must have exaggerated the situation.

They should have let them go see Judge Judy, now thats real justice!
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Good thing she didn't have a big rock...she might have taken out the copter too.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

some news sources say that the rock was 2 pounds....

"They're treating her like a violent parole offender," Richard Beshwate said. "It's not a felony, it's an 11-year-old acting like an 11-year-old."
    I wonder if Dick Beshwate had a son who was being himself water balloning people...but gets hit on the head with a 2 pound rock killing him.....would his stance change?

She ran away, and scratched a cop...thats what she gets. Sad that she's in all this trouble but she brought it on herself...jail would be exessive and counterproductive for her...so I wonder what the punishment would be.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    2 lbs!? That's freakin' huge! And would require a fair amount of strength to heft it up and over to toss at another moving individual.

Perhaps the US Olympic committee should take a look at her for a future shotputter...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Cybr1d
    I havent seen the other news sources so If you have a link I'd like read a follow up.

I wonder if Dick Beshwate had a son who was being himself water balloning people...but gets hit on the head with a 2 pound rock killing him.....would his stance change?
    She ran away, and scratched a cop...thats what she gets. Sad that she's in all this trouble but she brought it on herself...
    In any case I still have serious problems seeing an eleven year old girl throwing a 2 pound rock any distance unless, as Ms Mittens said, she is a candidate for the 2012 olmypics.
    Also there is no way you can justify holding a child for 5 days with out allowing her to see her parents. I dont know of any child who will not run away if they have done something wrong especially if she is frightened. I didnt really notice any mention of killing in the article
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

killing? didnt see that either.

let the girl go-it ought to teach those boys a lesson.

their parents should have been teaching them the concept of respect for women of ALL ages.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

These boys got beat up by a girl? LOL>>>>>

MsMittens, it's Ironic you mentioned a bat since recently a sentence was handed down when a little league (pre-teen childrens baseball legue) player beat another to death on a field after some heckling. If I hade witnessed that.... I would be on trial.

Source Los Ageles Times.

//EDIT perhaps they are a little paranoid out there in Lala land.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.