I can't start my session on SuSE

Thread: I can't start my session on SuSE

I can't start my session on SuSE

Hi everyone, here is the problem: I can't start my session or another session on my suse 9.2, the only session that can enter is the root one, and I dont want everyone (including me) enter in my root session. Please help.

Wow.... Going to assume you mean you can't log in as anything but root?

Open YAST2, go to the users (Add remove edit) and create another user, or check that you didn't tell it to auto log in which it tells you is a bad thing to do while you install, and then RTFM, and if root logs in without a password for some reason, log in as root and type this:

passwd

that asks for a new passwd and you can change any users password.

I did what you said and is the same, I create a new user but i can't login. Also I think this is important to say, when I try to start a session the monitor turn off and then I start again in the user selection screen. What can it be?

Originally posted here by fastnet
    I did what you said and is the same, I create a new user but i can't login. Also I think this is important to say, when I try to start a session the monitor turn off and then I start again in the user selection screen. What can it be?
    Hey Hey,

Did you play with any security settings or hardening tools? It sounds like either the users don't have permission to connect to the X Server, or that they can't create the proper files in their home directories/their home directories don't exist...

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

This is going to sound strange, but PM me your IP address, and root password and start up SSH, I can fix it from here.