Thread: Antispyware firm warns of massive ID theft ring

Antispyware firm warns of massive ID theft ring

<quote>AUGUST 05, 2005 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Officials at Sunbelt Software, a Clearwater, Fla.-based vendor of antispyware tools, said the company stumbled upon a massive ID theft ring that is using a well-known spyware program to break into and systematically steal confidential information from an unknown number of computers worldwide</quote>

http://www.computerworld.com/securit...103737,00.html

IMO, CWS is one of the nastiest peices of spyware I've seen. It is a royal pain in the ass to get rid of.

We were/are using blackhole dns, strict policies and keeping clients up2date to keep most spyware off our PCs. However, we just found a nice little plugin for websense that is supposed to help with block various malware sites. Too many layers is never a bad thing...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I agree with you 100% on more layers of security...but there comes to a point where managing all the different layers becomes a nightmare. It would be nice to have one product to control all layers of security....though I don't expect that to be in the near future.

although cws probably isn't directly responsible for this (my guess would be one of their clients download servers was hacked or someone possing as a client paid them to auto-download their maleware) i think they should be held totaly accountable. let me take that a step further and say that the people behind cws should be tied to the back of a jeep and dragged accross the country...or at least untill they fell off...let me see...where can i find a jeep?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

We can use mine. And we've now got four of them within my immediate family...

Forget dragging them... lets just pop it in 4x4 and drive over them time and time again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I have a Honda Pilot and a Toyota Highlander here.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

no no no... dragging is good.. drag them over gravel, then sand (very hot sand).. Park them on an ants nest.. the Aussi meat ant is nice for this job.. pour bleach on the wounds then use them as the ball in a 4x4 .. Polo match..... and if they wont play ball.. tie them down on the ants nest..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

And as an update, Sunbelt Software has made a free repair tool for this trojan...
    You can get it here: http://research.sunbelt-software.com/SSACleaner.exe

NOTE: Since the SSA-KeyLogger spyware cannot be installed on the following platforms, it is not necessary to run the SSA-KeyLogger Clean software:
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows 98SE
    Windows ME
    Windows NT4
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.