Thread: Accessing a PC from anywhere

Question Accessing a PC from anywhere

Hello,

I programmed a small program similar to a web server. Now i am running it on my PC, the PC has a internal IP address for the local network and external. If i type the IP address from with-in network in the web browser i can access the http server program, but if i go out of LAN and try the external IP i cant access it. What should i do?

Thanks,
    Zeeshan

You'll have to configure your router to "port-forward" the port you are running your webserver on to be visible from the external network. Basically, the outside world should only see the IP address for the one point of access into your home network. Since the outside network cannot see your internal PC, you'll have to tell your router to allow the world to see your webserver running on your internal PC.

If you can provide more details about your network and network hardware, I might be able to be more specific.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Oops, thats a lot of sh*t, but how to do it? How to configure the router? Any resources / links will be appreciated. Give me a genral answer

Thanks,
    Zeeshan

AOs Resident Troll
    Depends on what type of router it is.

Go to the vendor site and look for manuals, FAQs and how tos.

Or google the vendor and the ports that your app uses to see if someone else has posted a how to or link.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

on most routers there's an adminitration web page usually accessed by pointing your web browser to the 'default gateway' address. if your internal addresses is 192.168.1.3 then the gateway would be 192.168.1.1.check your documentation or go to the manufacturers web site for the defaulf administrator's password. it's usually something like 'password' or 'admin'.

once your in look for something like 'port-forwarding', 'applications' or 'gaming'. every router is different but does the same job . once you find the page add your application's name for future refference, the port it's using and the internal address it's running on, sometimes labled 'host'. set it to 'allow' and apply it.

it's sometimes necessary to 'power cycle' the router (fancy words for unplug the bitch then plug it back in) before the settings will work
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by AceSpy
    Oops, thats a lot of sh*t, but how to do it? How to configure the router? Any resources / links will be appreciated. Give me a genral answer

Thanks,
    Zeeshan
    A general answer (all bull**** aside) nat/pat/port forwarding

roswell gave you the perfect answer, based on the information you presented in your question.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

This is what you need to do...... Find your internet IP(www.whatismyip.com) or your router's IP address(look at your default gateway in tcp settings). Now that you have the ip.... just type http://*routerip* and you should be able to access the router settings. If it asks for a user name & pw and you don't know it.... try U:Administrator P:Admin. Look for a setting called port fowarding and allow forwarding to the desired port # on your computers internal ip. Make sure the firewall on your internal computer allows access to that port from the *routerip*. If that doesn't work then you are not doint something right....... or maybe I am wrong?

Is this a corporate network or your own ? I ask this because if this is a corporate network, you probably want to talk to you system administator before doing this. Also if it has a proxy, which alot of corporate networks do, the www.whatismyip.com wont work, it will just report the address of the proxy.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Should this be a corporate network like dmorgan suggests, you might have other resources for home users, like VPN...

Ask your system administrator if you can get a VPN account and the necessary software. With a VPN connection you should be able to get onto the machine with the local IP.

And I'm sure someone has configured your router... he or she could set up port forwarding for you... Which port to use depends on the application... 3389 for example is used by Microsoft's RDP client.