Thread: Why Google Loves Linux and Hates Microsoft

Why Google Loves Linux and Hates Microsoft

Google Inc open source programs manager Chris DiBona said the search giant has stuck with Linux throughout the company's life, in part, because it was unhappy with the terms of another software company...
    http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...3-758193AE36BF
    Unhappiness drives open source adoption - Computer Business Review

Do you think when Linux gets as big a Microsoft or close to it, their price for an OS will go up and maybe Microsoft will put their prices down due to compition?

Originally posted here by Nokia
    Do you think when Linux gets as big a Microsoft or close to it, their price for an OS will go up and maybe Microsoft will put their prices down due to compition?
    I doubt it. Thats one thing thats great about linux. ANYONE can pick up and start their own distro. The kernel and most packages are free. It's "open source". Anyone can grab a copy and compile it. What you pay (in cases such as SuSE or RHEL) is documentation, the media and support.

Businesses don't like knowing that there is no official support and point the finger to when all hell breaks loose.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I believe google loves lunix just because they can modify the kernel and make the O.S. more suitable to his very, very, very specific needs. You cant do this (usually) with a proprietary software.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.