Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking 2 PC's ?

Networking 2 PC's ?

Ok here's the deal. I just got a Desktop PC (800 Mhz, 40 GB), im planning on using it for music and back-ups etc....now can i network my two PC's without having to buy a router etc ? I have a DSL modem (one ethernet outlet), the "new" PC has an ethernet PCI card, dial-up modem, USB ports the usual, my "old" PC has an ethernet PCI card, dial-up modem, USB ports the usual, they're pretty much the same....can i network them through the dial-up modems or somehow else, the new PC doesnt have to connected to the internet, i just wanna access files on it from my current PC...

Thanks
    O.G at A.O

The old fashioned method is to use a null modem cable and just link the two directly. It is rather slow though.

Hi CopyRight,

I did review this site and it looks pretty good...

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res...nwDb-YYaS-ibIN
    USB Networking Indroduction

Eg

So nihili, just link the two dial-up modems directly and configure them ?
    O.G at A.O

Hey Hey,

There are plenty of ways to network two computers without buying a router, etc... however any option you cover is going to require some additional component. I would highly suggest just picking up a second network card... It's the cheapest and easiest solution, there are also kits that let you network using home power lines and the in house phone system, however that would be more expensive then buying a network card, or a hub/switch... The other common option which Eg. posted a link to is USB Networking... XP has made it rather popular (a lot of students like it because it means you don't have to open your PC and play inside it)... However since you need the proper ends it's usually almost more expensive than a NIC. (USB cables are usually USB-A to USB-B and you require USB-A to USB-A to setup a USB Network Connection)

Go out and spend 5-10bucks on a cheap network card from a small computer store (stay away from the chains they'll be more expensive)..

Then go DSL ------- NIC1 -PC- NIC2 ---------- NIC - Second PC. It's easy to setup and if you want you can use Windows built in internet connection sharing to allow the back computer to access the internet. However... you may want to price out a cheap switch (I paid about 20 bucks for my last one) and talk to your DSL provider... The last time I had DSL (about 8 months ago).... we were given access to 8 IP Addresses (We could "dial" the DSL 8 times with the same username and password)... It was great.. We had a switch and each person dialed and had their own full connection. I realize that you don't need internet to the second computer... but having two internet enabled computers makes it easier when you have company... as well it allows you to keep the machine updated.... This is very important.. especially if you're going to network it with the live machine..

Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    So nihili, just link the two dial-up modems directly and configure them ?
    You are't going to want to be using Null Modem Cables (or serial or parallel were other older ways of doing it)...especially if your using it for music and back-up.. You won't even be able to stream your songs.

Peace,
    HT

Thanks, HT, i'll do it.
    O.G at A.O

I think that HT~ has a good solution.

USB would be my next choice, but I have no idea what the cable would cost over with you; and HT~ is right, in the old days you just directly connected the serial or parallel ports. Not something I do very often these days, as the link is something like 2400 Baud

fyi if you choose to purchase another network card you will need a crossover cable to connect the 2 computers to eachother.

DSL---PC1(2 NIC's)--x--PC2

then just set it up with something like

PC1
    NIC2( the one that connects to the other PC)
    IP address: 192.168.1.100
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

PC2
    NIC1
    IP address: 192.168.1.101
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

but I wouldnt go the modem route if you plan on sharing files I dont think it will transfer fast enough for you
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Hoopy Frood
    This thread is describing almost exactly what I want to do with my new Sager laptop and old Dell Desktop. I have one question, though. Can I do something like this?

(DSL) --> (Dell PC) --> (Wireless Shared Internet Network Connection to Sager Laptop)

So basically, the DSL would be coming into my Dell PC and then my laptop would have a wireless link between my Dell and it would share both files and internet connection. Does anyone see any problems with this? I would think it would work, but when I try it out, it doesn't.

Here's what I've done:

I'm on the Dell right now which has a NIC card and a Wireless card installed. I create an Ad-Hoc (Accesspoint-less connection) wireless connection with my laptop. They both connect and can ping one another. (Can't find shared files, though... even though File/Printer sharing is turned on on both machines.) I have ICS turned on for my Dell's NIC card which the DSL comes in through. My laptop sees my Dell as a Gateway for internet access, but when I try to browse pages or ping stuff, nothing happens except for that packets are sent out even though nothing works. I have tried disabling the firewalls on both computers, but this solved nothing.

Any suggestions?

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Ok problem...

here's the setup....

PC 1 (2 NIC cards, 1 connected to DSL , other one to the NIC in 2nd PC)
    PC 2 (one NIC card connected to the one in the first PC)

now,my DSL works, but i tried the network setup wizard and when it comes to selecting what hardware to use the new NIC i bought appears as disconnected, same case on the new PC, it says hardware disconnected, cable unplugged....i connected them with a cat 5 cable....
    O.G at A.O