Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Firefox popups - stop them now

AO Senior Cow-beller

Angry New Firefox popups - stop them now

So I was very surprised to get a popup today on my freshly installed Ubuntu system when looking up a word at M-W.com. Especially since the ecru-colored notification bar showed up, telling me Firefox had blocked a popup...

Thankfully, EITPlanet had this article linked...thanks JPM!

Source
    Like you, I love Firefox for many reasons, including popup blocking. So over the last few weeks I’ve been surprised to see occasional popups.

It turns out that some clever people figured out that you could launch popups from Flash, getting around the Firefox default settings.

Fortunately, you can get around it:
    [list=1][*]Type about:config into the Firefox location bar.[*]Right-click on the page and select New and then Integer.[*]Name it privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins[*]Set the value to 2.[/list=1]

The possible values are:
    • 0: Allow all popups from plugins.
    • 1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
    • 2: Block popups from plugins.
    • 3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.

"Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hey, thanks for the heads up Zen...
    - Maverick

Are these the pop-unders that I see every now and then? I can't remember where I was seeing them now, but I made this change. Hopefully it stops them.

Thanks!

thanks zencoder!

never knew that existed

using about:config i was able to fix an annoyance in firefox. [ctrl+rotate mousewheel] now only resizes text and no longer opens new pages in tabs or new windows. toggled middlemouse.contentLoadUrl and middlemouse.openNewWindow to false.....yes!

seems that the site formatting insists on inserting a space in between "about" and ":config" (on my mach at least) and that doesn't work!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AO Senior Cow-beller

Hakc and tweak via about:config

Yeah, I had the Firefox Hacks book on my digital bookshelf for awhile, but it wasn't as great as I had hoped. I want to disable the BACKSPACE == Go Back function. I am always backspacing in a form, I bumped the touchpad, and go back 5 or 6 pages. Major annoyance...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

i thought that was happening due to an error on my part. (figured i must have accidentally hit some combination of keys to trigger that)

Didnt know that was a Firefox standard.

Zen, if you find a way to disable the BKSP page relationship, let us know.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

FYI - I don't get those pop unders or popups in Deer Park Alpha 2.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thanks zencoder for the heads up!

FYI - I don't get those pop unders or popups in Deer Park Alpha 2.
    I KNEW my friend suggested it to me for a reason!
    Space For Rent.. =]

The only problem with Deer Park Alpha 2 is that it's still in it's testing stages...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...eer+park+alpha
    Firefox Deer Park Alpha 2

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...eer+park+alpha
    Deer Park Alpha 2 Available: a Preview of Firefox 1.1

I hope it gets released early because I'd like to check it out.

Eg

Hoopy Frood
    I can't wait any longer! I must try it out!
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard