Thread: Trashed Files

Trashed Files

Greetings...

In Mac Operating System, is there any way that you can retrieve a trashed file or folder?
    I've tried Norton Utilities but some files are not 100 percent retrievable, is there any other solutions or maybe a software that can recover a trashed file...??? I am using Mac G5

Banned
    Well, you could try to get them back from any backup, if Norton isn't able to retrieve them. If you forgot to make regular backups, you now know why it's important to make regular back-ups.

This is just the problem with deleting files. Their space becomes available for other files to write over. If that has happened, the data is basically lost for average purposes. If the data is real important and the cost doesn't matter to retrieve it, there are companies that specialize in data recovery. We're talking about thousands of $$$ here, unfortunately.

One other problem, of course, is when you would install another tool to recover lost files from your system. This program would probably overwrite some of the data you want to retrieve when you install it. Anyway, anything you install on your system will overwrite these lost files so the more you use your system, the more will get lost. Especially if those programs you're using are writing to (temporary) files...

Magic word here: backups! Don't leave home without them.

oic... ok thanks for that...Katja
    but sometimes you accidentally deleted the files without knowing it...

Banned
    Originally posted here by Jeckgo
    oic... ok thanks for that...Katja
    but sometimes you accidentally deleted the files without knowing it...
    Yeah, I know... I once reformatted a flash-pen, thinking it didn't contain any useful information. I needed it to bring some data back home from school. Besides, I thought that I would have a backup of all data that was on it already.
    I had forgotten that I added some data to it the previous day, though, and hadn't synchronized that with my PC so I lost one day of homework...

And on such a flash memory device, it is nearly impossible to recover any data once you've overwritten it...

So basically, backup regularly, backup often, backup now! And backup your backups if your data is real important... I once heard of a company that stored it's backup tapes in the same room as their servers. One day, some thief got in, stole their server and also stole their backup tapes! Gone was all their information!!!
    Of course, a fire would have destroyed it all too.