Thread: New powerful computer running SLOW - framerate issues

New powerful computer running SLOW - framerate issues

Hello,

I just recently built a new computer:
    Thermaltake Tsunami Case
    450W Power supply
    P4 3.6ghz
    1gb Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 533mhz
    dual hard drives (windows/primary on a 250gb @ 5600rpm, secondary 120gb for storage of media)
    ATI X800 XT w/ PCI Express
    ASUS p5aD2 motherboard
    Windows XP Home

This PC is built to be a powerhouse for today's games (I work with the game industry, so having one is necessary just for gaming). The issue is ever since I built it, this PC has been running extremely slow. The strange part is, it's not technically slow. When the PC is working on a task, it completes it at a speed you'd expect it to. The issue is, it randomly locks up for about 15-20 seconds when trying to open a new window, folder, program etc.

For example, I'm in MS word, I try to open up my computer and it freezes (my mouse still works, windows key, etc....just the swindows frozen) for 15-20 seconds, then resumes as if nothing had happened.

Once it resumes, the speed it opens files or runs processes is normal. I can't pinpoint the issue. The second problem is games. They open at a normal speed, but once IN the game, games often experiece FPS slowdowns or FPS locks for 2 or 3 seconds every time you turn a corner in a shooter, or hit a point where a script is suppose to run. When its not locking up, the games run beautifully. Except it's annoying that if every 10 seconds the pc locks up for 2-3 seconds as if it were experiencing framerate issues.

I'm attempting several things. Most processes are eliminated when I try to run games, etc so that's not an issue.

Any ideas how to make this pc run the right speed are appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Ap

off the top of my head:

ensure the vid drivers are up to date (check the web site)

swap file may be corrupt. Change the swap drive to your second drive, Reboot
    delete the file named pagefile.sys in the root of c
    Change the location back to c and set your page file to min 1gig max 2.5 gig

check to ensure that your cpu is not overheating.

let me know if you need more on managing the swap file.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I'm sorry to bother you but I need more help with the swap file =) I don't understand the instructions. The vid card drivers are up to date. It's not overheating. Does this the sec it starts

What does it do if you try to read/write files to the HDD ? Tried just reading/writing arbitrary decently sized files to see how it reacts? Tried something like siSoft Sandra to look at your system specs ?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Right click on MY Computer and choose properties
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Click on Performance options
    Leave Optimize performance for Applications selected

Click change

Change the drive letter from c to second drive letter. Highlight the drive C and put 0 in both initial and Max size boxes.

Make sure that the second file you created has the total amount of system ram 1GB as min and max is 1.5 GB (Set Button)

Reboot and delete c:\pagefile.sys (it's a system file so you may have to change your view options with windows explorer. (tools, folder options view)

I set drive C to 0/0 and f to 1000/1500. Restarting now and I'll delete that file

UPDATE:
    Did all of that, except there was no pagefile.sys. Yes, the view options are correct. I even tried to execute it from the command prompt just in case. Its not there :/

UPDATE 2:
    Also, the page changes did not improve gameplay or performance.

is OS up to scratch? Antivirus? are all your drivers up to date?
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

AV yes, up to date, the only driver i've updated is the vid card

OK, Change the swap file back to C: Better to have it on the same drive as the %systemroot%

I have to bow out on this one. The only OS / Software thing that can cause what you describe is bad memory management (not alot of that type of software around anymore) Bad swap file, or bad software install. Since you say it happens in games, word, on startup. I am leaning towards Hardware. Actually I'm saying it's a hardware issue.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. The only other thing I can suggest is re seating your vid card, Kicks and Giggles. If it's a bad vid card, mem module or MOBO... There chould be an entry in the system or at least the application logs. Right Click my computer choose manage and view the logs.

dual hard drives (windows/primary on a 250gb @ 5600rpm, secondary 120gb for storage of media)
    Is that really a 5600rpm hardrive or is it 7200rpm? Didn't know they made laptop hardrives that big yet.