Thread: Fedora core 3 install issues

Fedora core 3 install issues

Hey guys....still kind of new to Linux OS and was wondering why Fedora core 3 isnt installing on systems that use a SATA harddrive connection but works fine with IDE harddrive.....any fixes or comments would be appreciated.

Thanx

AO Senior Cow-beller
    http://tinyurl.com/a76z9

That shoud lead you in the right direction.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

gee thanx but i have already tried that or i would not be asking for information here

gee thanx but i have already tried that or i would not be asking for information here
    If you would have entered "Installing Fedora 3 on SATA Drive" you would have found a treasure chest full of info, that it has been successfully installed on a multitude of SATA Drives, and for those that it didn't initially install several workarounds were provided. Also you would have discovered that FC3 does provide SATA Drive support by considering them as SCSI Drives and there is a Kernel Subsection just for configuring SCSI device support!

Additionally you would have found out why some Linux distros may not be able to recognize a SATA Drive.

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The drivers required for S-ATA installations have been around since Fedora Core 2. As someone noted, many of the RAID drivers can be used with your S-ATA drive.

Now, instead of doing all this crap in Fedora Core 3, why not DL Core 4 which already has the 2.6 kernel and more than likely will be much easier to work with in regards to your S-ATA drive.

If this doesn't strike you as a good idea, have a look at this page. It will certainly provide you with additional information.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

This will also be of interest:
    http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by Valid10
    Don't be an asswipe when someone is trying to help you. You didn't say what you had tried or where you had turned up in your research. You said you were new to linux and you would appreciate any comment. I'm really surprised that people even took the time to try and help you again after your negative attitude.

I got FC3 and FC4 installed on my SATA drives with no problem. Maybe I was lucky... becasuse FC3 and FC4 BOTH found the controllers from the install and I didn't have to do anything special to load it. Which is more than I can say for Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Pro.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

To smooth things over I do apologize for it was I who failed to note that I had already googled the topic and only found others with the same problem but with no real solution.....I sorry but I do appreciate the information thank you guys again