Thread: Ics

Ics

As some of you may know i networked 2 PC's a week ago, now, when i enable ICS Sharing on my main PC, the internet goes down....and the connection the the 2nd PC is lost...do i need to configure something else ?
    O.G at A.O

Hi CopyRight,

Know it's not the quick and easy answer but hopefully this will do or at least give you something to look over while you're waiting for the right answer...

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/NetworkingProblems.htm
    Networking and Internet Problems and Solutions - Page 1 of 3

Eg

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Uhm...dumb question...but it's a dumb solution on a dumb operating....never mind.

Do you have ICS enabled on the correct interface? I know, I know...but as simplistic as ICS is (made for the lowest common denominator/user), it can fool you. Make sure you are enabling ICS on the WAN facing nic. ICS will auto-configure the LAN facing nic.

Yeah, you probably know all this...but just in case...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Yes i do zencoder hehe...i have no idea why my internet just drops....

any other information you guys need to help me out with this ?
    O.G at A.O

Well the ICS Wizard does just about everything for you except tweak a firewall to allow outbound connnections. I don't know if that the case, but heck it was the first thing I though of. Is your firewall stopping the connection?

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

I don't have a firewall running
    O.G at A.O

Hi CopyRight,

You can try this. The wired Dlink in your room needs to not route or give out ip addresses, so plug both PCs in your room into the switch part of the router. In the router configuration, disable DHCP. Then bridge the two network cards in your Internet PC. To do this, select one network connection, hold down the control key and select the other network connection, then right click on them and select "Bridge connections". When your Internet pc is turned on, your other PC should be able to get to the Internet too. It will get it's IP address and dns information from the wireless router going through your other PC.
    http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread8896-1.html
    Multihome Help: LAN & Wireless Connection

This any help ????

Eg

I've never used ICS, but first thing that comes to my mind is address conflict. ( BTW, I don't think he wants to bridge several networks, so bridging may not be exactly what he is looking for. )

from Practically Networked
    Consider these points when deciding whether to enable ICS.
    WARNING #1: When you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to the local area network is assigned a static IP address of 192.168.0.1. The client computers are assigned other IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. These addresses may not be compatible with an existing network
    There also seem to be some other issues such as vpns with XP.
    You didn't say ( at least here ) what OS, but Annoyances.Org has detailed instructions on setting up ICS on the different flavors of Windows.

just curious here, what do "ipconfig" and "route print" show?
    ( I would first try to compare the ICS server machine with, then without ICS enabled, then look at the client )

Hope this helps.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Well my PC just got a nice little BSOD so im configuring everything from the beginning again, i'll see if i have problems this time.

Tx for the replies everyone though.
    O.G at A.O