wireless card problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless card problem

wireless card problem

i have a hp pavilion zv6005us and it comes with a Broadcom 802.11b/g with HSM support... the problem with my wireless adapter is that when i connect to my desktop (wireless conected via Linksys PCI adapter with speedbooster) the connection rate drops dramatically... from 54Mbps to 1Mbps in a matter of minutes... but when i connect to another desktop (wired connected) the connection rate stays at 54Mbps and works perfectly...

i had contacted HP support and i had sent in my notebook for a check.. they say my wireless card has no problem but my RAM didnt pass certain diagnostics so they replaced my RAM... well after i got back my laptop it was working perfectly for a week or two and the problem came back...

i know there are someone out here taht can help me... thanks in advance

Did you install any programs in those two weeks? Have you ran AV/SW checks?

Try a system restore to a date when you know your connection was good.
    How replacing your RAM speeds up your wireless conection is beyond me!!!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

i didnt install any new software or hardwares.. ran AV and SW checks and found nothing... any idea?

HP support told me that the wireless connection rate will drop to suit the other pc that i m trying to get a file from... not sure if thats true...

Old Fart
    Head over to www.dslreports.com and run their speed test, their tweak tool and then Dr TCP and see if that helps. It sounds like your RWIN or MTU might be FUBAR.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

"HP support told me that the wireless connection rate will drop to suit the other pc that i m trying to get a file from... not sure if thats true..."

Depends which way you look at it really, You connection will still be the same speed but the data transfer rate will be at whatever the sending machine can manage at the time.

Are you connecting through a router or just a one to one conection with another pc?

Have you checked for external sources that might be interfereing wth the connection?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Hmmm,

Like Nokia I don't see the connection between your RAM and your wireless connection speed

It is strange that you get the machine back and it works fine for a few days and then the problem comes back.

That almost sounds like a hardware fault? Almost as if your PC was damaging the RAM somehow?

Certainly try what has been suggested, and if that doesn't shed any light on the matter, you might like to try this RAM test:

http://www.memtest86.com/

You say that you get it working perfectly with a wired connection to another desktop. I would try a wired connection to your desktop and the wireless connection to another desktop. That might narrow the problem down a bit?

thanks guys...

dslreport.com have no errs at all my internet connection is fine..

i m connected to a router where 2 always on pc and 2 other pc is connected...

i just tried this... A (this HP PC), B (a wireless laptop), C (a wireless desktop) i use A to get a file from B and get a file from B to A.. it was perfect... but when i try to use A to get the same file from C problem starts... so i tried to use C to get the file from B and C also have some problems... but not as bad as A... A's connection rate dropped to 1Mbps but C only drops to 11Mbps...

any clue?

The 11 Mbps sounds familiar, I think it is the speed of the card before the 54Mbps one, 802 something or other

The 1Mbps is strange, I know that wireless stuff will rarely if ever give you the full transfer rate, and that interference can severely reduce this. Also, I believe that the connection will start off at somewhere around the theoretical and rapidly drop to that at which it can comfortably transfer.

Could it be something to do with incompatibility between the various cards?

We know that "A" is
    it comes with a Broadcom 802.11b/g with HSM support
    What is in "B" and "C"

I warn you that I am no great expert in this area

A is as u know is a a Broadcom 802.11b/g with HSM support
    B is intel 802.11b/g wireless chipset
    C is a NIC 100Mbps wired

Check what you have set in terms of power-savings. Does it do this while on AC power? Or does it not matter if it is powered by AC or the battery?

You may need to disable any power-management features on the card. It *could* be what is happening. At least assuming it is where it can get a strong signal... If there is other interference, the issue may be different...

It may also be that one of the cards doesn't support 54mbps, so you need to disable that...are there any other wireless access points in your area that share the same frequency channel that you use?