This spammer's stash could be yours

Thread: This spammer's stash could be yours

Post This spammer's stash could be yours

Why is AOL on the brink of giving away a fully loaded Hummer H2 and nearly $100,000 worth of gold bars and cash--all of which once belonged to an e-mail marketer?...

...AOL obtained the goods as part of a settlement earlier this year in the first lawsuit it filed under the Can-Spam Act, in a case involving a then-20-year-old New Hampshire resident.

From Wednesday until Aug. 19, people can sign up online for a chance at winning the goods. A winner will be announced shortly after the enrollment period ends.
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5...=zdfd.newsfeed
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

good stuff
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Re: This spammer's stash could be yours

Only in the US ??

Cheers:
    DjM

Microsoft has been taking spammers to court for outrageous sums of money...Are they trying to protect us, or are they using our hatred of spammers to grab some more money?Something just doesn't seem right.
    It seems to be peaceful,but it is incorrect.CATS is still alive.
    Zig-01 must fight CATS again.And down with them completely!
    GOOD LUCK!

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Microsoft is taking the risk by taking the spammer to court (not much of a risk to MS) so I don't have a problem with them keeping the cash if they win.

Gives the [strike]leeches[/strike] lawyers something to do other than sue teenagers that register funny domains that sound like MS products.

If it cuts down on the spam you can't begrudge Billy a buck or 2 (million).

this is definitly a ploy to grab more money but not the money they can get from suing spammers.

AOL has had a long standing bad reputation. i had aol awhile back (they bought up the isp i was using. gnc or something i forget) and in my in-box there would be 117 emails with 115 of them being spam. it seems they've been working hard to change their image. something they have to do if they want to compete with netzero, netscape and the rest. if their going to stay in buisness they need to offer a safe and secure experiance (relativly speaking) and let people know it.

IMO tthey are trying to protect their users and get the publicity for their actions. the money they could get from legal action against spammers could never come close to the money they have lost and would loose by doing nothing .

the good will publicity these law suits give them is worth much much more than what they win in court which is why they can afford to give their winnings away and gain even more good will publicity in doing so. so it's really a move to grab more money...by grabbing (and keeping) more customers. nothing wrong with that unless you just happen to be againt capitolism :-)

so i kinda think this is one of those very rare occurances where something is exactly as it seems. i dont think it's too hard to see why ms and others are doing it as well.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

With all this user information they are getting through this promotion I can see a bunch more AOL frisbees (cds) being sent out.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

My favorite line is
    the "next stop on our spammer treasure map,"
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    With all this user information they are getting through this promotion I can see a bunch more AOL frisbees (cds) being sent out.
    i wouldn't mind getting myself some more or those tins or dvd type cases. the ones in the cardboard sleeves i can do without.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    i wouldn't mind getting myself some more or those tins or dvd type cases. the ones in the cardboard sleeves i can do without.
    I always get the paper sleeve ones....
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)