Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

14 63.64%
  • NO

8 36.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiny vs ZoneAlarm vs Both?

Well a hardware firewall, I.E a Router does take care of many things, but a software firewall is not a bad idea neither. A software firewall can detect if a program you might have installed/downloaded is trying to access the internet. Spyware for example, quite often connects to the internet to download more of its buddies...a software firewall, such as Norton's Personal Firewall, will warn you that the particular program is trying to access the web, and it will give you the options to Block it, or allow it.

I think running a hardware firewall, and a software firewall is not a bad idea. Remember though, unless you configure a firewall properly, its useless...

Cybr1d.

If your adding without altering a systems functionality you are reducing its overall security, and by lowering a systems assurance by needlessly adding multiple unwarranted firewalls you are broadening the surface-area for an attacker. (More code to work with and exploit.) Assurance is king, the more a given system has, the more secure it is. K.I.S.S

Your security must be accomplished at the OS level, not through applications and we all know how they get used in the end.

This WORD.doc below will give enlightenment on the aforementioned. It will tutor you on the history-types-generations of firewalls and what they are used for.

References: Orange Book

This is my understanding.

Well a hardware firewall, I.E a Router
    there is a HUGE difference between a fire wall and a router. You can creat rule sets and access lists on firewalls to prevent unwanted traffic, monitoring a traffic log will show the outbound connections from a computre so you can see and its pretty obvious if its legit or not.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

there is a HUGE difference between a fire wall and a router. You can creat rule sets and access lists on firewalls to prevent unwanted traffic, monitoring a traffic log will show the outbound connections from a computre so you can see and its pretty obvious if its legit or not.
    I'm talking about a linksys, netgear, d-link...etc 4 port router sold in every computer store. They have a built in firewall.

They have a built in firewall.
    actually most dont... SOME of them have it...like 1 in 10 models. and customers go for whats cheap not whats secure 90 percent of the time.

(as a side job I do business sales for one of the biggest national computer chains in the country, I have to sell this crap far too often.)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

actually most dont... SOME of them have it...like 1 in 10 models. and customers go for whats cheap not whats secure 90 percent of the time.
    Most do (if not all). You'll find very few that don't have it and those that don't, are probably discontinued products that have been sitting on the shelf for too long. Again, i'm talking about routers aimed at home users, not businesses. As a full time job I sell networking supplies and other computer pheripherals, digital cameras/SLRs, Printers, Monitors, Computers and whatever else comes in your mind. www.microcenter.com will give you a list of items I sell .

Netgear wired routers

NetGear Wireless Routers

Linksys Wired Routers

Linksys Wireless Routers

D-Link Wireless Routers

D-Link Wired Routers

GIGAFAST Wired/Wireless Routers

Belkin Wireless/Wired Routers

Hawking Wireless Routers

Hawking Wired Routers

SMC Wired/Wireless Routers

U.S. Robotics Routers