22. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

14 63.64%
  • NO

8 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny vs ZoneAlarm vs Both?

Tiny vs ZoneAlarm vs Both?

Opinions? Can you use both at the same time or does it create problems?

Jedi (don't be afraid to call me an idiot :P)

Hi Jedi ,

As a general principle, NEVER run two applications that do the SAME THING at the same time. You will have a high chance of resource conflicts. The really bad thing is that these may well be intermittent, and those sort of problems are a pig to troubleshoot

Banned
    Two would be bad. (and none would be better than one)

Increasing the complexity of a system decreases its level of assurance.

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by catch
    Two would be bad. (and none would be better than one)

Increasing the complexity of a system decreases its level of assurance.

cheers,

catch
    None would be better than one? What do you mean?

Banned
    I mean that firewalls should only be used for:

- Segregating network segments (fancy that)
    - Monitoring/Filtering network content
    - Tracking network accesses (for use in system isolation in worm/attack response)

Considering that application firewalls do none of these things, you are better off without them.

Close all unneeded services and use authentication mechanisms on services you'd like to control access to.
    Operate the system as a non-privileged user to prevent the installation of malware.
    Use the operating system's built-in networking filtering if you wish to control access to systems behind the system in question.

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by catch
    I mean that firewalls should only be used for:

- Segregating network segments (fancy that)
    - Monitoring/Filtering network content
    - Tracking network accesses (for use in system isolation in worm/attack response)

Considering that application firewalls do none of these things, you are better off without them.

Close all unneeded services and use authentication mechanisms on services you'd like to control access to.
    Operate the system as a non-privileged user to prevent the installation of malware.
    Use the operating system's built-in networking filtering if you wish to control access to systems behind the system in question.

cheers,

catch
    OK, this is a view I haven't heard yet... If I don't use a firewall, isn't that opening up my computer to attacks? Open ports, programs accessing ports I don't want them to? Everyone is always saying how you "need" a firewall... I'm a little confused. Thanks,

Jedi

Well, as Catch seems to be offline right now I will attempt a reply.

1. The more applications you have running the less potentially stable your system is because there is a greater chance of resource conflicts, memory leaks and deadly embraces.

2. The more applications you are running, the more complex your system is, so the greater the potential for exploits etc. In other words, the less secure it is.

However, for an unsophisticated, non-networked home user situation, a software firewall is a reasonable solution. Provided that you remember that "firewall" does NOT equal "fireproof"

OK, I think I'm beginning to understand... Now, what if I am online frequently, and gaming, and chatting? (and leaving downloads on all day...)

hmm...

Close all unneeded services and use authentication mechanisms on services you'd like to control access to. Operate the system as a non-privileged user to prevent the installation of malware. Use the operating system's built-in networking filtering if you wish to control access to systems behind the system in question.
    If you have any questions about the above quote and as a home user, you're asking whether or not to use a firewall, then that is a good indication that you should.

!~cheers~!

PS: Sygate
    Connection refused, try again later.

Well I never do that.......................I have a very nice house, and I do not want it burned to the ground because of some scabby Chinese component defect. Also............I get to pay the electricity bill in this house

I suspect that you should be looking at a hardware firewall, but I am no expert on them.

(and leaving downloads on all day...)
    The RIAA/MPAA might want to have a word about that