FBI admits their system is crap and needs a major upgrade

Thread: FBI admits their system is crap and needs a major upgrade

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

FBI admits their system is crap and needs a major upgrade

The FBI has formally begun the process of trying to replace its $170 million case-management software with something that will work.

The bureau on Tuesday announced it had contacted 40 selected contractors asking for bids on creating the project, which is being called Sentinel and will succeed the now-defunct Virtual Case File system.

An effort to modernize FBI case management systems that relied on paper and antiquated computer hardware, the VCF was supposed to usher agents into the 21st century by allowing them to more easily share information. Instead, it turned into a flop that ended with public finger-pointing between contractor SAIC and top bureau officials.
    http://news.com.com/FBI+abandons+old...7601&subj=news
    FBI abandons old computer system, tries again | CNET News.com

Hi EG~

I would say that virtually every major UK government IT project over the last 15 years has flopped

Personally, I put it down to the contractors not having staff with sufficient knowledge of the users' business coupled with the users not having staff knowledgeable and skilled enough to specify computer systems user requirements.

There is a layer of expertise missing in the business analysis/process re-engineering field.

Didn't they decide this MONTHS ago?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151421,00.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi phishphreek80,

FBI Director Robert Mueller admitted to Congress in February that at least $104.5 million had been lost on VCF and could not be reused on a successor system. A month later, Mueller officially pulled the plug.
    Apparently that was a failed attempt that cost them $104,5 million and they pulled the plug...this is the second attempt.

Eg

Ouch... they need to start outsourcing some of that to india or somewhere...
    I hear they work much cheaper? Then they'll only loose 50 or 80 million per project....

On second thought... they can just pay me. I'll be sure to hand them back failed projects.
    I'll even provide a guarantee that it won't work.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

So at the rate they are going, if im correct. http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ + everything Phish says = Never updating. Every day there is more crap added to the already broken system they have. The longer they wait the worse it gets, the worse it gets the more they lose.