Thread: Cursor Disappears in web based email

Cursor Disappears in web based email

Ok this might be a silly question,

I have had some users complain (reliable ones, so its not crazy people) that will be typing away on an email through yahoo or hotmail. All of the sudden the cursor will disappear, and since they look at the keyboard rather than the screen, after a couple minutes they notice nothing they have typed is on the screen. It also occurs on different machines.

Recently I have updated some gpo's but not with anything to do with this. Its like the frame the body of the message is in becomes inactive. Internet explorer does not grey out like the focus is on something else....its just weird.

Anyone seen anything like this, or seen a policy setting that deals with window focus timeouts? The machines are all XP SP2 and up2date. Thanks.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

This happened to me when i used IE.

However, I think each case might be different, as this can happen for more than one reason.

When I noticed that my typing stopped, it was because of some popup (usually in a new window) or popunder that sort of "took possession".

Also, what is the speed of ur internet connection, sometimes that may cause it too, when pages refresh or reload.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

I am not noticing any pops or even a change of focus, we have a t1.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Kthln01
    This happened to me when i used IE.

However, I think each case might be different, as this can happen for more than one reason.

When I noticed that my typing stopped, it was because of some popup (usually in a new window) or popunder that sort of "took possession".

Also, what is the speed of ur internet connection, sometimes that may cause it too, when pages refresh or reload.
    The phrase you're looking for is 'focus', not possession.

I've seen this as well...it's usually something to do with jscript or another client-side BHO that is not playing well, or is being blocked by security policy, or just plain is broken.

I;ve never really found an acceptable solution...besides switching to Firefox and using the Adblock and NoScript extensions...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

thanks zen
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Kthln01
    thanks zen
    No worries...just the word "possession" took me back a few years...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...999-7-28&res=l
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

This happens to me in hotmal all of the time.. In fact it just happened to me right now typing this message.. I think what happens is that people start typing as soon as the field becomes available for them and the page has not completely loaded, which is what happened right now..

I notice that in hotmail the page will be loaded but the email message will not be entirely formatted, when the formatting kicks in, the focus goes away.. Happens to me all of the time..

Also take into consideration that for many people a t1 is now much slower than their home broadband speed. I have a 5mb download speed, so my home connection is much faster than my work connection and we have multiple t3's feeding into OC48 and higher rings.. However when you take into consideration the saturation of those lines, I end up having less than 500k/sec at work.

Tell them to make sure that the page has completely loaded and the problem will probably go away.. Although there are definitely other items that can take away focus from IE.