Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audit Gone Bad - I'm Now The Domain Admin.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    I had them remove the stupidity and made them use SMS to push software which is why we spent 150K on the damn software to begin with.
    TH13, its amazing how some admins can be so stupid. Use admin password on a logon script.... pifff..

TH13, just a thought: if you are pushing software to the computer (not to a specific user), you can use also startup script that runs under local system account instead of user account. We use to use those script to deploy some services to the users.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    you can use also startup script that runs under local system account instead of user account.
    Yeah, we used to do it that way until we got the funding for an enterprise management package (SMS). I'm trying to convince these old Novell Netware jockies to use the damn tool. They are worse than the Mac zealots.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

SMS to push software which is why we spent 150K on the damn software to begin with.

Why the hell would they want the hassle of scripts compared to SMS. Not to mention it's already owned and licensed. If I was the IT Manager there, I am not sure I would fire the guy, but I would be ball stomping
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I do have a federal job(organization to remain namless), and our security frightens me sometimes. All users run as local admins and the \\host\c$ is accessible on anyone's computer I usually try and save our IT guys some time by trying to fix my own problems(adware), but I decided to let them take care of it one time. After talking about my CCNA class, one of our IT people asked me why I had chosen Novell. I tried not to laugh in her face.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    In your audits... you just audit until you own their boxes?

You don't continue the audit and look for more major problems? If they are making mistakes like this, there is no doubt that there are more to be found. Seems like a waste of time to have to keep revisiting a site after they fix every failure.
    Welcome to the magical world of Govt. logic.

Yes, I run through the battery of tests until I PWN. The good news is that many places do pass.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden