Thread: Do anybody know how to use dskprobe?

Do anybody know how to use dskprobe?

I trying to figure out, how to used dskprobe in the system tool program. I went to Microsoft website, but info. was clearly explain.
    Anybody offer any suggestion you know how to contact me.

Hi,

To recover an NTFS volume, perform the following steps:

Open the Disk Management snap-in (go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and select Storage).

Recreate the original volume by right-clicking the unpartitioned space and selecting New Partition from the context menu; specify the exact size of the original volume in the process, but don't format the volume (you must know the original volume size to recreate the volume because the Disk Management snap-in rounds partition sizes).

Use dskprobe.exe to recover the backup boot sector for the NTFS volume from the end of the deleted dynamic volume (because you're restoring a dynamic volume, you might need to use dmdiag.exe to find the backup boot sector). See the Microsoft article "Recovering NTFS boot sector on NTFS partitions" for an explanation of how to copy the boot sector.

After you rewrite the NTFS boot sector, quit Dskprobe.

Go to the MMC Computer Management console Action menu and click Rescan Disks to mount the volume for immediate use.
    http://www.petri.co.il/recover_a_del...ws_xp_2003.htm
    Recover a Deleted NTFS/FAT32 Volume in Windows XP/2003

and...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ea19006b7.mspx
    Dskprobe Overview: Data Recovery

Eg

Do anybody know how to use dskprobe?
    Yes, I do, thank you very much.

I also know that if you do not know how to use it, and cannot follow Microsoft's instructions, you should not even think about playing with it!

It is a very low level tool insofar as it operates BELOW the file system level, so if you make a mistake, you are dead.

I would suggest that you Google around for articles about it and read them carefully. Ask us about the bits you don't understand; It is not something you learn by "trial and error"

If you are really determined to proceed, all I can recommend is that make sure that you have a boot/recovery floppy/CD, that you have set your BIOS sequence to boot floppy/CD/HDD, and that you have a ghost/mirror of your system. Ideally I would recommend doing this sort of thing on an experimental machine, rather than your production one

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to ask, what do you think you will use it for? do you have a specific problem in mind?