Thread: Win2k box w/ lost admin password

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Win2k box w/ lost admin password

I have a windows 2000 machine on the network that we can no longer connect to via the network. I went to troubleshoot this computer and we found that we no longer know the admin password of this computer. We can log in locally under an account with user privileges only. All the rest of the logins are thru the domain (which it no longer can connect to). Otherwise we could just reset the pass via SMS or thru the domain.

I am trying to save the information that was stored in a domain users local settings and desktop. I know I can use one of the offline ntpasswd cracks to get into the machine as admin, but is there an easier way? I tried connecting the hard drive as a slave on a WinXP system, but upon trying to access the drive it simply sees it as an unformatted drive and suggests formatting it.

Your thoughts? I would like to save the admin crack as a final option. Would having the admin pass even get me access privileges to all of the folders for the domain user anyway?

maddy

i don't think you have any choice left than to just crack the admin password.i know the site www.password-changer.com where you can reset the your login password

Yeah, I know and have the software to crack the admin password, and have used it many times in the past. I just hate taking this route if there is an easier and less obtrusive method. I guess I will just go for the pass.

thanks all,
    xmad

use a boot disk like knoppix to trouble shoot it. that will let you work in a controlled enviroment and then if you want you can change the password. also it will be able to run testson the hard drive.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I have already finished it with 100% success. Thanks all for the input.

xmad

Sorry for bumping and oldish thread up.

xmaddness - is there any chance you could post how you done this, or PM me?
    I am giveing a lesson on thursday about this and am just writting my lesson plan.
    I have 8 ways so far and am just looking for as many ways as possible really, and as
    you have tried and tested the method it would be benificial to me.

Thanks mate!

Did you try using SUPER ERD *Emergency Reboot Disk*? I went to a Microsoft convention a while back and they gave out free samples. It works like Kinnopix in the sense that it boots from the CD and gets you access to the hard drive. However, it also gets you access to your actually account. I haven't tried googling the SERD, but I'm pretty sure you can find a copy.

BTW, I didn't bring up this old thread. I've learned my lesson from my other mistakes.

Yeah, thats gonna be number 2 in my lesson! Its not a bad bit of software is it! Experemented with it before I incorperated it and was quite impressed.

"BTW, I didn't bring up this old thread. I've learned my lesson from my other mistakes"

You can bring old threads up as long as there is a valid reason to do so. Like this one!