Thread: Password Protect CD's

Question Password Protect CD's

Does anyone know if it is even possible to password protect CD's so that people cannot access the files and such on them unless they have the password.

I couldn't locate any software doing a google search or AO search. I did find one possible solution of encrypting the files using PGP and burning the encrpted version and than send it off and have someone unencrypt it there. However if possibly I'm looking for a easier way.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...cureBurn.shtml

havent tried it yet, but if you decide to let us know how it goes.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

alright, I downloaded and installed it.

It works, however it requires that the person your sending the cd to have the software installed on there computer.

Can anyone find one where this isn't the case? However it looks like it works fine. Even gives you the option to burn the software needed to read the cd to the disk. However I wouldn't do this as its almost like writing your password down on a sticky and hoping someone doesn't see it if you get my drift.

I have used the earlier version of the secureburn software and I think its ok, but you will have to relax because it takes awhile for it to actually burn the data. I think if you used pgp it would take less time in the long run. Either way your going to have to give the other person a password.

The only way I can see what your asking for happening is if you made the software able to run directly from CD, sort of like the software on some USB drives. It launches from the drive, and once you enter the password it gives you access to that partition. It would be interesting to see if you/somone could mod that software to burn onto a cd, of course you would then have a hard coded, non changeable password, so once the password is cracked (which it will be if somone wants the contents that bad) you would need to get a new password. Also, the data is still accessable on thumb drives with a little work. The problem with password protecting a CD is, that if the person ahs the cd, then they have all the time in the world to crack it without fear of being caught.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

how about 3rd party password protection for external hard-disk(usb)??
    --=|2 be da happy children 0f da Mother Nature, 2 be da Best among da Best!|=--

Any Sufficiently AdvanceD TechnologG is InDistinguishable from MagiC. - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi jbclarkman can you give us a bit more detail on the requirements?

Does anyone know if it is even possible to password protect CD's so that people cannot access the files and such on them unless they have the password.
    What "people"?.................Me? no chance, but 99% of the people I deal with would be screwed by a simple password protected .zip file

You need to think about what sort of files, how current they stay, how valuable they are and what the risk/threat factors are.

I like your idea Nihil, like I always do haha. Personally Id RAR it but same concept, you can even set it to STORE incase you don't want to waste your cpu cycles decompressing it too.

Great idea bud :-D

a little bit extreme

ok lets say you really need this done. You could compress and encrypt the data on the cd and then write a custom app which decrypts the files when the correct passphrase is entered. is your passphrase is sufficently strong then whoever is trying to crack will have a bloody hard time ( and lots of coffee). Other thing is to set ur autorun on the cd to the app u wrote.
    this way u can password protect it whichever way u want.

ITCH-WARE ROCKS!!!
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!