Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips

Tips

Can we add a feature of some kind to delete some of the tips people put up. Some of the ones that come up on the front page are very poorly worded and make them wrong, or just bad advice.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hi XTC46,

Who's in charge of OKing these tips...or is it come one come all?

Eg

as far as i know its come one come all...you just click add tip and it is entered into the rotation, so Im thinking unless a mod notices something really bad they wont delete it. Perhaps we need a mod for the quick tips?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Actually a moderator has to pre-approve the tips before the get in, i remember i added some with my earlier accounts, they never got up. It would be full of shitty tips if people just could add them as they wish.
    O.G at A.O

Hi CopyRight,

But I do agree with XTC46...I've seen some and thought ' what's that doing there? '...so...the odd one must be slipping through.

Eg

Banned
    Feel free to PM either me or MsMittens with the ones you think should go (I agree - there's some shitty ones ), or post them here... we indeed have to "pre-approve" them.

WinXP ships with an "Administrator" account and the hackers know this. Change the name of this account and make 0wning your box much more difficult for the blackhats!
    -- posted by allenb1963

Rename the Administrator account on your computer to something else. It is much tougher to crack that way.
    -- posted by AngryBob

On a new system, change all defaults that can be changed (i.e. usernames).
    -- posted by ^Mobius^

Rename the adminstrator account and create a guest account with the name administrator. This flags an intrusion attempt if someone is trying to log on as "administrator".
    -- posted by zigar

Do you really need this damned many of the exact same thing slightly reworded?

And what about when rewording accounts can cause problems?

To protect your system and ensure your password security, make sure to require your windows users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before logging on.

And no explanation as to why this is secure...

Don't practice "security by obscurity:" that is, don't assume that users are stupid. Some users are smarter than your assumptions: others make the most amazing mistakes.
    -- posted by blunt23

Never think obscurity equals security.
    -- posted by KorpDeath

Security through obscurity is not a singular solution, but it is one step towards better security.
    -- posted by pooh sun tzu

Lol, no one checks these?

The ultimate security of your computer is up to you. Make sure that you are a frequent visitor to the home page of your operating system manufacturer so that you can find and install security updates and patches.
    -- posted by preacherman481

A virus checker is only as good as its last update! New virii are coming out all the time so make sure you download updates as soon as they are available...
    -- posted by valhallen

Download the latest Anti-Virus updates. New viruses are made everyday, so keeping up-to-date will minimize the chance of you being caught off-guard.
    -- posted by Tim_axe

Most exploits use a vulnerability for which the vendor has already published a patch. Keep your OS up to date.
    -- posted by 576869746568617

Most exploits use a vulnerability for which the vendor has already published a patch. Keep your OS up to date.

Patch that box up!!! Patching is without a doubt the easiest way to secure your box. Keep it patched, and you won't have near as many open holes.

After you install an operating system, be sure to search for new security patches/updates.
    -- posted by er0k

Security is a practice not an art. Knowing about a vulnerability, but not responding to it by patching the system or updating your firewall or AV, only condemns your system to a black and dusky future. Learn and then apply.
    -- posted by Black Cluster

Software is only as good as its latest patch. Remember, it only takes ONE vulnerability.
    -- posted by ^Mobius^

Patch that box up!!! Patching is without a doubt the easiest way to secure your box. Keep it patched, and you won't have near as many open holes.
    -- posted by The Grunt

If you are a Linux user, sign up for RHN up2date. It is free and you will keep your machine updated with the latest patches.
    -- posted by thehorse13

When reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling the OS, the first things you should install are a virus scanner and a firewall, to ensure that you don't get hit when you're most vulnerable. - AJ
    -- posted by avdven

Do you really need this many for patches?

By all means lock your doors, but remember never to OPEN WINDOWS!
    -- posted by Rewandythal

With Windows, praying does help.
    -- posted by bquine

Geeee, I would get mugged for **** like this.

Always try to have a password that involves numbers, symbols and letters when allowed. Also use delibrate spelling mistakes as they are more difficult to grab via dictionary attacks.
    -- posted by dac0braman

I posted in the thread he made this one in TELLING how it was in fact no more secure than spelling something properly because crackers have dictionaries with miss spellings already in them for things like this. Not only did my tip not get posted, but this one did anyway....

USB data corrupted? On the taskbar tray find the Safely Remove Hardware icon, right click to choose your device, then choose safely remove device option. Once the message to remove appears, unplug the device. Safe and Sound.

When logging into AOL.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com or other large email sites, add an "s" after http to enter a secure connection.

Doesn't work on every service.

A computer, server and a router is only as secure as the room it is in.
    -- posted by Riot

Yea, you don't need to patch or create accounts at all or any policys, you just need a cool door.

AntiOnline goodies are now available at the AntiOnline Store. Get yours now!!!
    -- posted by Negative

This should be put on the front page but NOT as a quick tip.

If you feel a thread is starting to get out of control, stop posting.
    -- posted by White_Eskimo

Make sure each post is "special", so to speak. Put careful thought and thoroughness into each of your posts and your response's will be much better!
    -- posted by JCHostingAdmin

Lol

Never start a thread asking about an antipoints assignment. It will just get you more negatives. Nobody likes a whiner.
    -- posted by xmaddness

This WAS true....

Q: How can I get the password for someone else's account? A: This is cracking. Go away, idiot. (cfr.: Eric S. Raymond)
    -- posted by VictorKaum

This isn't a tip.

The worst thing to hear from a sysadmin after a bad crash is "Backups? What backups?"
    -- posted by rootman147

From a Joke I posted in tech humor.... How is this even a tip?

P2p software is rampant with viruses and Trojans. To minimize the risk of being infected stick to downloading non-executable files like .mp3 .pdf .jpg. Try to avoid .exe .com .bat.
    -- posted by cwk9

Didn't Windows just have exploits from images?

hen posting a question in the forums do a search first to ensure that your question has not already been answered in a different thread.
    -- posted by valhallen

Before posting a new thread make sure you are in the correct forum. Each topic has a forum, just find the one that best suits the thread you are going to post
    -- posted by valhallen

Sorry for this useless post:

Gore, i was scrolling down your post and i have to say very nice observations, must've taken some time to take notice of all these.

And I HAVE to say, nothing wrong with mine ? Cool. !!
    O.G at A.O

Hrmm, quite a few there gore? Bleh, they do need looking at. Perhaps Neg/MsM could re-look at them and whatnot.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Lol, no one checks these?
    It's too hard to check... those 5,000 you submitted full of spelling/grammar errors make it impossible...