Thread: Mystery Knoppix Client in DHCP Table

Mystery Knoppix Client in DHCP Table

Hey everyone,

My bi-daily checks of my router logs and DHCP tables for my home network shows a computer called Knoppix running at the internal ip of 192.168.1.102. There hasn't been much recent activity except a few websites over the past two days.

I have recently used Knoppix as a temporary solution to a bad windows installation, but stopped two to three days ago as I fixed that problem. Checking all the cd drives and computers in my apartment show nothing running it currently.
    So my question is, what exactly is this mystery DHCP client, and how do I get rid of it?
    I'm concerned that there is occaisional traffic directed to this address.

Thanks in advance guys.
    \"She is a Czechoslovakian prostitute and you will address her as such!\" - Master Shake

what is your DHCP lease date set to? by default many are 8 days. So if a lease is made to that client, then it will hold it reguardless of if its connected or not. Try powercycling the router, and see if it goes away.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Usually you can also simply delete the client from the DHCP Lease client table in your router.
    Detect, defend, deter!

XTC46, dont u think there wouldn't any traffic to the ghost client if it was actually off? if u are getting traffic to and especially from the client then i think someone's been pullign a fast one on u. Dont leave ur machine unguarded. hah! im paranoid!!!
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

well what’s the mac address of the knoppix machine look at that and then match it up with one of your machines, also I would suggest using some type of mac filtering so your dhcp only gives out addresses to machines you say it can.

I'd be fairly certain that XTC46 is right here - you used Knoppix recently, it was given an IP addy from the DHCP server on your router and even though it's no longer in use, the router still remembers that it used that address for that client.

I would manually delete the entry and watch for it to appear again - my guess is, it won't...
    - Maverick

Okay, thanks for all the help. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work and see what happens.

I'm not sure if my router allows me to delete DHCP entries, but I'll give it a shot.
    \"She is a Czechoslovakian prostitute and you will address her as such!\" - Master Shake