Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitor just shuts off for no reason

Im still at work, but i cant wait to go home and test this out
    -Simo

Ya know, if its not one thing then its another.
    Last night i got home and switched the power cable out from my monitor to new one and that didnt work. I decided i wasnt going to spend another night swearing at my computer so i went out with my friends to clear my mind (Plus my girlfriend always yells at me if i spend too much time on the PC, im sure most of you know what thats like:-0 )
    I get home around 11 and my internet is down.
    And this whole time ive just been trying to setup an ICS between my PC and laptop which should only take 20 minutes is now taking days

somebody just kill me.
    -Simo

NOTHING WORKS
    ive moved my whole PC and monitor to other outlets in my house and it still turns off. Swapping the cables did nothing either. im seriously pulling my hair out
    and my internet at home is still down!
    -Simo

Hmmm,

1. If you boot into safe mode does the monitor shut down?
    2. Can you run the machine unplugged from its internet connection?
    3. I am assuming that it is an AGP card, can you borrow an old PCI video card and try that.
    4. Get a can of compressed air and clean the video card and memory slots with it (make sure you ground (earth) yourself before touching them). Also clean the contacts on the video card and memory sticks with isopropyl alcohol (make sure the room is well ventilated)

If none of that works ask your brother to test the monitor and video card in his machine. If they work then you have certainly ruled them out.

Then try with some different RAM. Make sure it is NOT ECC as I have heard of issues with the latest BIOS and ECC RAM sticks, anyway it will rule out memory problems?

If it is still no go, re-flash your BIOS with the older version. Pulling the CMOS battery will not reset the machine to the old BIOS.

Ive left my machine running just at the BIOS screen and the monitor still shutoff, so i doubt booting into safe mode will do anything.
    Ive ran it unplugged from the internet and that didnt solve it either.
    Yes i am using AGP cards and i do not have any old PCI cars sitting around.

Ill go try the can of compressed air and isopropyl alcohol later tonight
    -Simo

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Definitly sounds like a power issue or a faulty agp slot issue... (whoa deja vu! ) Did you try the monitor on your bro's computer? Did it turn off?? if so then that indicates it's your monitor... Is it at all possible that you could get a PSU that you know works and swap it and see if the monitor still goes out? If it still goes out then it's a faulty agp slot...

Or you could use a method of checking the PSU that I just learned lol... Take out all the stuff you don't need... disc drives, floppy drives, NIC, etc, just the bare minimum... RAM, HDD, Vid Card, CPU... and see if the power saved is enough to notice a difference ...

But first try the compressed air, it's amazing how many problems a simple dust bunny can cause...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

When you say "turn off" do you mean the actual power goes off or the monitor just displays no picture?

The monitor turns off but the PC, mouse and keyboard are still running. Ive tried plugging in a different monitor after that but nothing works

right now im working on borrowing my friends ancient PCI video card and a can of compressed air.
    ill keep you all updated on this puzzling problem
    -Simo

Originally posted here by Simo
    The monitor turns off but the PC, mouse and keyboard are still running. Ive tried plugging in a different monitor after that but nothing works

right now im working on borrowing my friends ancient PCI video card and a can of compressed air.
    ill keep you all updated on this puzzling problem
    Here's my two cents: I suppose that if the whole monitor turns off it can't be an issue with the power supply since the monitor isn't powered by it, it's something wrong with the power supply. But, since you changed moniters and still the same problem (if you used the same cable as you did on the other one) it could be the Video card or the cable. (wow, I just realized I managed to say what everyone else has already said lol)

P.S. What part of NY are you from? Two heads are better than one
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Rochester NY
    -Simo