Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitor just shuts off for no reason

Monitor just shuts off for no reason

Hi
    I recently installed a BIOS update for my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard about 2 days prior to this happening.
    I will be working along just fine on my PC and the monitor will just turn off but my PC, mouse and keyboard are still on. I thought that this could be the monitor itself since its old so i swapped monitors with my brother and that did nothing. I took out my GeForce 6600GT video card and used my GeForce MX460 one and that didnt work either. Next was a system restore in windows XP which was futile. My last effort was taking out the CMOS battery for 15 minutes and thus resetting the BIOS but this **** is still happening.
    Any ideas????
    -Simo

Hi Simo,

What service pack?
    What happens before the monitor shuts off?
    At what point does it shut off?
    Have you run scans for trojans/viruses?

Eg

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Nothing happens before it shuts off
    Its random, sometimes i can go for 5 minutes and others it shuts off immediety when i login to windows
    Ive run scans but the monitor shuts off so i couldnt view them,
    Im thinking it may be either a BIOS or hardware issue since i was in the BIOS menu and my monitor(s) did the same thing.
    -Simo

I recently installed a BIOS update for my Asus A7N8X-E motherboard about 2 days prior to this happening.
    Are you saying that it ran OK for two days before this started happening? If so, then it isn't the BIOS..................if you mess that up it will fail as soon as you reboot

Sounds as if your power supply could be on the way out? what is it, what capacity, how old is it and what is your hardware configuration?

It isn't the video card or monitor, and it does not seem to be your drivers or OS ( the reinstall should have fixed it)

If you can get into BIOS for long enough, kill all the power saving options and make sure that you are NOT overclocking anything

Im thinking it may be either a BIOS or hardware issue since i was in the BIOS menu and my monitor(s) did the same thing.
    That sounds like hardware to me.

Please let me know what happens

When you swapped monitors, did you also swap out the powercable? Could have a bad cable, and might also try pluggin it in to a different outlet.

I have a 420 watt ATX power supply. Its about 3 years old. that may be the issue, never thought of that
    I also did NOT swap out the power cables to the monitor so i will give that a try when i get home

thanks for the good ideas gents

Dell Trinitron Monitor
    420 watt ATX power supple
    Asus A7N8X-E motherboard
    GeForce 6600GT video card
    60 gb HDD @ 7200rpm
    640 megashits of DDR2 PC3200 RAM
    AMD athlon XP 3000+
    WinXP pro SP2

anything else?
    -Simo

The only way power can stop getting to your monitor is if the power supply fails but as your computer doesnt supply power to it it can't be a fault with your computer.

It has to be either the wall outlet or the power cable itself.

Try plugging the monitor into the wall but disconnect if from your pc completley. Dont even turn your pc on. Wait and see what happens, if it does shut off you know it is your power cable/supply. Check you have the right rating of fuse in your plug etc etc, or as has been suggested before a different power socket or power lead all together!

Hi Simo

You power supply certainly is more than adequate for what you are running. That does not mean that it does not have a problem though.

The only way power can stop getting to your monitor is if the power supply fails but as your computer doesnt supply power to it it can't be a fault with your computer.
    Errr, not quite true...................if the power supply is not providing the MoBo correctly, this can cause a problem with the video card, that will cause it to drop its connection to the monitor. Changing the video card is unlikely to solve the problem.

As for the power supply, there are still plenty of machines around that have a pass-through cable from the PSU to the monitor, so it is being powered via the computer. However, I did not think that Simo would have one of those or I would have suggested trying one of his brother's power cables and connecting it directly to the mains.

It certainly sounds like some sort of power issue.

it probably didnt help that i left the case of my PC open overnight.
    argh
    -Simo

it probably didnt help that i left the case of my PC open overnight
    Unless you live in a very hostile environment that should not have any effect. People run machines with the case off all the time, particularly in repair shops where they are constantly testing components.

Any luck with trying different cables and socket/outlet?