What? ONLY 27,470 Nuclear Warheads...geeez...and I was worried...bah!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What? ONLY 27,470 Nuclear Warheads...geeez...and I was worried...bah!

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

What? ONLY 27,470 Nuclear Warheads...geeez...and I was worried...bah!

WASHINGTON — An estimated 13,470 nuclear weapons are deployed worldwide by eight countries, with another 14,000 weapons in reserve, according to an article by two experts published in an annual survey of global armaments (see GSN, July 29).
    The number of total nuclear weapons, deployed and nondeployed, also decreased from approximately 31,500 estimated in 2004 to roughly 27,600 this year, according to a comparison of the two yearbooks.
    Russia has the most estimated deployed warheads, 7,360, according to the article. That includes 3,980 strategic warheads on ICBMs, submarines and bombers, and 3,380 nonstrategic warheads on aircraft and at sea, it says.

The United States came in second at 4,896, with an estimated 4,216 strategic warheads on ICBMs, planes and submarines, and 680 nonstrategic warheads for delivery as gravity bombs by aircraft and by Tomahawk cruise missiles from submarines, it says.

Next is China with an estimated 400 deployed warheads, 120 of those estimated as nonstrategic, France with 348, Israel about 200, the United Kingdom with 185, Pakistan with 30 to 50 and India with 30 to 40.
    http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues....html#E8C83CAB
    NTI: Global Security Newswire - Wednesday, August 17, 2005

and Canada gets left out again...sheeeesh!

"14,000 weapons in reserve" isn't that like bringing a couple of boxs of shells with you to play russian roullette?

if we all can't get the job (well) done with the first 13000 maybe we should just give up and invent a bigger, stronger weapon then try again.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I would bet the count is much higher than that. That's why they said "approximately". When the Old Russia fell and became separate states some things just sorta disappeared. Regardless, it's kinda obvious that we'll all be crispy critters if someone starts pressing buttons.

Connection refused, try again later.

Hi Tedob1,

"14,000 weapons in reserve" isn't that like bringing a couple of boxs of shells with you to play russian roullette?
    I was thinking along those same lines when I read it...13,470 divided by 6 Continents and Sub-Continents ( residential )= 2245 bombs each...more than enough to make pasta out of us all

Hi Relyt,

Better get drinking that beer...

As well as enabling drinkers to unleash manly belches and develop attractive, proud beer-bellies, apparently the magical nectar helps reduce chromosomal damage from radiation exposure.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=269889
    Beer the wonder drug

Eg

Banned
    We have (PALs) permissive action links.

These began as simple combination locks and evolved into the modern systems which allow only a few tries to arm the weapon and before disabling the physics package should an intruder persist in attempts to defeat the PAL.
    I watched a show on the History channel where a guy was holding a newer one and tried once and permanently locked the device accidentally. 1 out of a million chance to get it.

Russia, China etc............I don't know if they actually spend the money for "safety", assurance R&D. Do they have good code for TOS's .....I guess that's why the Rainbow series books are made available. lol

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Even deactivated by a tampered PAL a nuke is still a dangerous weapon. Just crack the case surround the Uranium with a conventional explosive of your choice. Cover with lead or another dense material to mop up the radiation sneak it into the target country through a remote coastline area ad set the bugger off on the top of a building taking account of the wind direction.

Burning uranium is hard to extinguish, and if doused with water, it will explode.
    Uranium dust will ignite spontaneously
    The resulting (Uranium Oxide?) dust cloud will cause death and mayhem for decades.

Alternatively you could just pay or threaten the family of a former senior Soviet military figure to obtain the correct codes. Given the state of Russia and the former Soviet states the latter is probably easier.

There are probably warheads in the offices of Russian mafia dons as talking pieces.

Weapons grade plutonium is fun

Its surprisingly easy to make an efficient nuclear bomb, and in worst case, as Aspman described, a dirty-bomb is even easier to make.

Aspman; Theres a $1000 dollar fee for setting of a thermo-nuclear device incide chicago city limits :P
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Is that a fee or a fine?

If it's a fee where do I get the forms to apply for permission to set off my thermonuclear device.
    Any big parks in Chicago? Wouldn't want the bang to upset anyone.

Hi Noia,

Theres a $1000 dollar fee for setting of a thermo-nuclear device incide chicago city limits
    Maybe they figure, after the intial explosion, the radiation will just blow into Ohio

Eg

quote:
    Theres a $1000 dollar fee for setting of a thermo-nuclear
    Do they take Master Card or Visa?
    Connection refused, try again later.