Thread: Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition

Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition

Just saw this software firewall on the net and installed it, so far so good. It is feature-rich and light in system resources. It did not produce a single problem since installation. Those thinking about switching may take a look at this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition is one of the most important software of Filseclab, it is very easy to use and also very powerful. It can provide more secure protection for your PC, and it is FREE.

* It can block the most attacks from worm viruses and trojans.
    * It can block some main Adware and Spyware, the definition supports live update and you may also define it yourself.
    * Double filter system provides double-layer protection.
    * Digital signature verification can automatically trust the well-known program.
    * Built-in 7 big modes can apply for all kinds of requirements.
    * Advanced realtime monitor lets the network activities be clear.
    * Interactive rules creator is very easy to create the rules.
    * Password protection can protect the rules and configurations.
    * It is very easy to backup and restore the rules.
    * It can control the websites easily.
    * It supports two logfile types, ascii and binary.
    * It also supports live update for rule-definition, traffic graph, privacy protection, Windows Security Center, balloon message alert and more unique features.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.filseclab.com/eng/products/firewall.htm

does it support syslogging?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    I like it since you can buy the sourcecode for it. Too bad it costs $480/$3800 because that's way too expensive for my limited budget. I think that this is why this firewall might become popular because it allows people to modify it and make it generate whatever reports they themselves like.

So if you want syslogging, add the code for that yourself.

Sorry for my seemingly abrupt question. it was busy at work and and it didn't seem that way (abrupt) at the time.

i currently use an old version of tiny for it's syslogging ability. newer versions do not have this feature. i use logs from my wg x15 firewall and the forty some odd soho 6s (all of which have syslogging ability btw) combined with event logs and syslogs from tiny installed on remote workstations to keep track of exactly what users are doing on my network. especially temps and new hires. its very easy to grep the combined log file created by kiwi syslogd to get all the detailed information i need. these personnel fws do not deny anything just log everything i want logged using distinct filter names.

if something new and light came along with syslogging capabilities id be more than interested in checking it out and Falcon21 seemed like he might know the answer right off the top of his head.

i have no desire to spend hundreds of dollars to add code to an existing piece of software.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    True, for personal usage, buying the sourcecode to modify it it's just too expensive. But if you have your own business and need to protect dozens of systems and you want some additional special features in your firewall, this does become a very interesting solution.

Banned
    Looks like an interesting peice of software. Definitely one of the better ones I've played with, but I'm sticking with my standard "I don't need a firewall."

Although I do have a problem with the idea of "purchasing" source code. It just seems wrong.

need to protect dozens of systems
    In this case you'd be better off with a network appliance or dedicated firewall/gateway box.