View Poll Results: Which of the following options contains command parameters of the ls -l *rpm command?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • ls

2 33.33%
  • l

2 33.33%
  • rpm

0 0%
  • l and rpm

2 33.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: poll: which firewall distro u use?

Banned
    Heh, I guess you didn't look at the link I posted.

System hardening is good, but incomplete. I actually don't care for Bastille, nor do I care for any firewall that resides upon a full featured OS. Exceptions of course being multilevel systems or those using type enforcement.

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by zencoder
    First off, www.webster.com

U need 2 clean up ur akt. That is pathetic. You look like a skiddie wannabe who is too ignorant to make a clearly communicated request.

Second...what do you mean by 'distro'? As in, distribution? As in, linux embedded distribution? These all look like open source, GPL'd types of firewall app's. I am not certain, but if I'm right that's not much of a definitive list. Where's the CISCO, Check Point, NetScreen, Juniper, and Sonic Wall firewalls? Are you asking for software firewalls only? Open source software firewalls only? Open source GPL and blessed by his holy grace ERS software firewalls only?
    Ok i have corrected the mistakes. I am looking for opensource GPL'd (software) types of firewall distributions.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Hey Hey,

When I setup my team in CIPHER I actually used a HDD install of WHAX as the router/firewall.. It worked out well.. and took about 5 seconds to setup.

As far as other distributions I've used. I'd like to vote for one that's not on the list.

FREESCO (FREE ciSCO) which can be obtained from http://www.freesco.org/.

Min Requirements:
    Minimum instal requires a 386sx 16 with 8mb of ram. 16+mb of ram is recommended for enabling servers;
    I'm actually sort of sad that it didn't make the list, we used it at work on our VLAN.. This was later removed but the person that set the place up wasn't into networking and was a programmer... We had two servers behind it, one was Windows running at the same apache and php with mysql... The other was linux and running file storage. When I started I redid it so that Linux had apache w/ php and mysql and windows was the file storage, however either way FreeSCO worked great for us... It's quick, easy to use and easy to learn (which made it great to pass on from employee to employee in the co-op placements) and it did everything we needed and more.

Main Page "Sales Pitch"
    Ease of use - it's insanely easy to set up
    Thoroughly documented - it's more or less self contained, read one doc and you're off and running
    Like most players in this field, it runs off one floppy
    FREESCO runs in as little as 8 Mb RAM.
    Unique Web Control Panel
    Facts
    FREESCO was developed in the open source tradition as an alternative to routing products offered by Cisco, 3-Com, Accend, Nortel etc. All of these companies offer products that are well made, but they are also proprietary and expensive. Between the cost of the equipment and support, you'll spend a great deal and only address one or two of your networking needs .. Additionally, by being closed source (proprietary), many of these products restrict the user from modifying the source software to better suit their needs and easily fix problems that arise.

FREESCO is based on the Linux operating system and incorporates many of the features of a full operating system into software that fits on a single 1.44 meg floppy diskette. With FREESCO, you can make:

a simple bridge with up to 10 Ethernet segments
    a router with up to 10 Ethernet segments
    a dialup line router
    a leased line router
    an Ethernet router
    a dial-in server with up to 10 modems (with multiport modems).
    a time server
    a dhcp server
    a http server
    a ftp server
    a dns server
    a ssh server
    a print server (requires TCP/IP printing client software)

FREESCO also incorporates firewalling and NAT which are resident within the Linux kernel to help protect you and your network. All of these features can be used in conjunction with each other or individually.
    Peace,
    HT

[Edit]

It also has addon software at http://www.freescosoft.com/home/. Including a VPN daemon, hping2, irssi and others.

[/Edit]

Oh yeah, Argus. Those are the guys that offered the cash reward to anyone who could hack Pitbull then stiffed LSD after they 0wnzored it. Sweet.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Work: CyberGuard

Home: Smoothwall and Sygate on windoze boxes
    to SYN, or not to SYN. That is the question. -Shakespeare?

Banned
    Oh yeah, Argus. Those are the guys that offered the cash reward to anyone who could hack Pitbull then stiffed LSD after they 0wnzored it. Sweet.
    Unfortunately before that OpenHack... VC people took over and the company dramtically changed... went downhill in my opinion.

cheers,

catch

I have been using ipcop for quite a while...it gets the job done.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

At home I use a ripped-to-shreds(r) Slackware install on an old pII333

This does the load-balancing ( via http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/ ) and stuff for my adsl and cable internet !

Loads of iptables and qos rules that evolved over a couple of years..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted here by Maestr0

-Maestr0
    Yeah and there new slogan is "The face you can trust", yeah right after you blatantly burned LSD after the media was gone
    They are real shady, whenever someone asks me about there product I tell them to stay away like the plague.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche

Banned
    Yeah and there new slogan is "The face you can trust", yeah right after you blatantly burned LSD after the media was gone
    Their product is still quite good, better than anything comparable on the market anyhow.

To be fair LSD did not win by the rules they had specified and he only was able to compromise the machine as a result of Sun being amazingly lazy... with an overly zealous configuration coupled with use of their least tested Pitbull (for Solaris x86). Also to be fair, it isn't like LSD did some super amazing hacking or anything like that. The vulnerability had been known for some time. Sun failed to patch it, and Argus failed to consider it. (the system still could have been secure)

At the end of the day, they should have paid LSD... but even more importantly the should have used a real version of Pitbull with a more real world configuration.

It did, on the otherhand stress the importance of a reference monitor. So many people think that you just add some extra controls to UNIX/Linux (TrustedBSD, SELinux, Trusted Linux, Pitbull) and suddenly you have a Trusted Operating System. This couldn't be further from the truth, especially when your "mandatory" controls can be disabled.

Still Pitbull is good, but the company has lost its way abit since Jeff Thompson left. (and the document I linked to, is still spot on)

cheers,

catch