Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The First Peer-to-Peer Geolocation Service

The First Peer-to-Peer Geolocation Service

Don't know if this has any security relevance ( I'm sure there are some implications ) but...as a wireless issue I thought it belonged here...

Now, a New-York-based start-up company, Navizon, offers a better solution, with its peer-to-peer wireless positioning system which relies on dynamic databases always up-to-date. Users need a free piece of software and a GPS device or a WiFi and/or Cellular enabled Pocket PC PDA. When you're walking or driving, you're able to get your exact location in real time, and companies can send you messages about a restaurant of a film opening near the place where you are.
    http://www.mindjack.com/relay/2005/0...-service.shtml
    Mindjack - Daily Relay

AO Senior Cow-beller
    When you're walking or driving, you're able to get your exact location in real time, and companies can send you messages about a restaurant of a film opening near the place where you are.
    Wow! Creative new ways to get spam! Sign me up!

"Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hi zencoder,

And there's your security reference

Eg

Egaladeist do you know if their is a way for others to find out ware you are in real time, not that i have much to hide but i dont realy like the idea of every one(feds) knowing ware i am all the time.

It's not that I think every one is out to get me, I know they are.

Hi Riot,

I might be wrong...but...if you use any king of communication device, card, etc...someone can find you...if they're looking for you.

The only way to avoid detection would to make yourself invisible...no phone, no computer, no swipe cards, etc...

But I wouldn't worry about it...seeing as you obviously don't try to make yourself invisible...it's also obvious that, even if they were keeping tabs, you couldn't be a high priority...or they'd be knocking on your door right now.

Eg

I know I was just kidding. What i realy ment was more towards friends and family, Like if my grilfriends exboyfriend wanted to kick my ass(just to let you all know he couldn't) would he be able to find me using that or something.

well he wouldn't need anything fancy, me thinks. Just stalk ur girlfriend, his ex, for a bit and then he'll whoop ur behind!!! :-)
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

The only way to avoid detection would to make yourself invisible...no phone, no computer, no swipe cards, etc...
    Well darn, I don't have any one of those; I must be the invisible man

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by ThePastorGang
    Well darn, I don't have any one of those; I must be the invisible man
    Really? You don't have a Kroger, Albertsons, or Safeway "shopper card"? No library card? No student or state ID?

It is becoming increasingly harder to have zero digital signature in our society. Actually, there are some pretty cool discussions and considerations of this sort of thing, all fictional of course, in William Gibsons writing. I forget the exact book...Virtual Light? Mona Lisa Overdrive?

Basically, the main character is this Savant that can observe logs, records, information collected about people, and infer information about them that would be otherwise unknown to the rest of us.

As I said, complete fiction...but frighteningly thought provoking. Credit companies have been perfecting this for years; predictable and fraudulent activities.

So you say you have ZERO digital presence? I doubt it...everytime you login here and make a post, you leave a path of 1's and 0's that could be followed. And don't bother to explain your painstaking methods of using Anonymizer.com and other proxies. The data is there...it may be well neigh impossible to track down...but it DOES exist.

You're less invisible then you think...and many of us are ridiculously over exposed, as well.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder

You're less invisible then you think...and many of us are ridiculously over exposed, as well.

Like some kind of digital nude beach?
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!