Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The First Peer-to-Peer Geolocation Service

Speaking about tracking: Use your debit card at a Meijer, Walmart, wherever and notice how, over time, the cupons you get are for products you buy most. The unique id is your card account # plus other info related to your card/bankaccount.

If you don't own a dog, you'll never get cupons for dog food.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

i dont own a dog and i constantly get coupons for dog food.

is it because my brothers name is Rover?

(Just kidding, my brother's name isnt Rover, but I do get dog food and heartworm med coupons from time to time)
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

I dont have a dog, but sometimes money gets tight...and alpo isnt that gamey...
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by dinowuff
    Speaking about tracking: Use your debit card at a Meijer, Walmart, wherever and notice how, over time, the cupons you get are for products you buy most. The unique id is your card account # plus other info related to your card/bankaccount.

If you don't own a dog, you'll never get cupons for dog food.
    Actually, I am 99.999% certain it is not the CC number itself. It is more likely some arbitrary identifier that is corellated to and by use of your card numbers. If Target et al were keeping your numbers and using them that directly for data tracking, they would be slammed so hard by Visa, MC, AMEX, etc. that CardSystems recent fiasco would look like a joke.

But you're right; they DO track your spending habits, even if they can't necessarily pull up a master database and say "Yup, there's that Kthln01 guy from AO, buying K-y again. Thats the third bottle this week!?!" Just kidding, there.

But seriously, they may or may not be able to easily put a "name" with a set of behaviors, but they can certainly get a trigger when you make a purchase, and spit out an associated or competitive coupon. King Soopers (read: Krogers, for those outside the rocky mountain states) has been doing it for years. Next time Kthln01 goes shopping, he could get a coupon for a blow up doll.

Again, sorry. Just had to take the shots. Respect.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Knowing Walmart, they proabaly have Retina identification from you

The worlds largest retailer, and the worlds largest company.
    If you're 10 mins late to restock them with that they need, you're gone.
    Or if you don't want to supply them, they'll get someone to buy your company.

"Wal-Mart owned the largest and most sophisticated computer system in the private sector. The company used Massively Parallel Processor (MPP) computer system to track the movement of goods and stock levels. All information related to sales and inventories was passed on through an advanced satellite communication system."

You don't screw with them.

well i don't know about US and other EU states ,but if you do want to disappear come to india
    ( the bourne i dentity 2) you can get a fake id and on that basis get a CC,debt card, driver license etc,but not a passport ( after the hijacking and attacks on the parlament ,Passports are hard to get) !!!