Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whistling PSU

Frustrated Mad Scientist

Whistling PSU

No tunes just a very high pitched whistle/whine.

It's a 360W Chieftec unit. It's done it for probably 6 months and I never thought anything of it until I was reading about another guys PSU probs.

Time to replace?

If so any recommendations for a quality basic PSU. No feckin LEDs or 23 fans I'm not into modding just like things to work well.

I'd probably look at an Antec or an Enermax PSU ~400W but they're not cheap.

Take a quick look at the fan and see if there is anything obvious there that could cause the whistling noise as that is the obvious culprit. Don't open it up though if you can help it!

If you do replace it dont get one that is less than 360w, since that is the one you already have and make sure it has enough molex connectors for your needs. - I'd prob pay around £35 mark for an avarage one in UK.

Can you say Fortron? The egg has been running specials on these too! Fortron has an exemplary reputation.
    • Fortron
    • PC Power & Cooloing
    • Sparkle
    • SeaSonic
    • OCZ
    • Antec
      Your basic cream of the crop.

$36
    Dual 12v rail
    Read on the back for its MAX power......they always fudge those front page numbers.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104952

I recommend at the minimum this one, but I'm thinking future.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104954

Rest of the list 300-400w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

I'm using Antec true controller and a Fortron Blue.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Doesn't sound like a fan noise. More like a flash charging on a camera.

<starts to magine big capacitors full of charge and starts to worry >

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Doesn't sound like a fan noise. More like a flash charging on a camera.

<starts to magine big capacitors full of charge and starts to worry >
    Take the sucker apart and look at the caps.. I have seen caps that were burst that made the same sort of noise.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Sounds like a 'charging cap'

that's exactly what a whistling fan sounds like ..........

give the fan a good blow out, AND a well positioned finger into the centre to check for bearing wobble .............

you will probably get a quieter fan just by doing this, which will PROVE it IS the fan beginning to fail

do NOT replace JUST the fan

for QUIET spares I go here
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I didn't know you were trying a fix. I personally leave my comps on when I leave the house; I'd be a little worried myself. But take it apart and post some pics. IMHO it sounds like a crummy PFC. I'd start looking at the (PFC) power factor correction, and let's have a look at that LC network. Depending on what method of circuitry they used of course. If that's a sophisticated network they probably gave an extra diode and capacitor in that PFC. What's the brand? If you can find the schematic that would be great.

Personally I need pictures.

I'm sure nihil will throw some insight into the mix.

Edit: We go to Silent PC over here foxy.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Cheers gents.

Will try cleaning out the fan first and if it persisits I'll pop the sucker apart and have a look at the caps. I'll post pics if I'm not sure.

The PSU is a Chieftec 360W (don't know the exact model) it came with the case a Chieftec Dragon Medium Tower (in loverly blue).

I'll do it tonight if I've got time, I'm putting up coving tonight and I've got some plastering to do but after that if she'll let me finish early. I really hate DIY

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'm putting up coving tonight and I've got some plastering to do
    Bloody Hell Asp ............

just how big IS this PC
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Actually ..

Take the sucker apart and look at the caps.. I have seen caps that were burst that made the same sort of noise
    it isnt so much the Capacitors making that noise.. But due to their not filtering the DC properly OR passing the wrong range of frequency harmonics to a transformer.. the High pitch whistle (that often varies with load) is the Former (the metal part) of the transformer rattling, or more a sub harmonic of the rattle..

I'd start looking at the (PFC) power factor correction, and let's have a look at that LC network. Depending on what method of circuitry they used of course.
    Imitationrust had the closest to the point here
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr