Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: terms I don't know anything about

terms I don't know anything about

Can anyone explain to me how a computer is pinged? Is that like bugging/monitoring a phone line?

And what is a fold? some sort of roadblock to limit access to my address?

Hey Hey,

Read this document... I wrote it for class a while back, It may shed some light on the subject for you. It covers a ping and how it traverses a network... a PING is an ICMP ECHO REQUEST.. it's a specific type of packet that requests a reply... and the computer being 'pinged', assuming it isn't running a firewall to filter the requests, will send back an ICMP ECHO REPLY. It is nothing like bugging a phone line, not even close to similar..

As for a fold... can't say I've ever heard that term... There's a firewall and that can be considered like a roadblock to limit access to a computer.

Anyways... check the paper if ya want

Peace,
    HT

AO Senior Cow-beller
    ping - 'pi[ng]
    The Packet Internet Groper is used to test the availability of a host on a network or on the Internet. A UNIX command, ping also works in Windows through TCP/IP. In DOS/WINDOWS, at the DOS prompt, enter PING and the IP address or the domain name of the server you want to test. If you get replies the server is up. If not, it may be down or there may be a problem between you and the server (such as a downed phone line). To test this, perform the command TRACERT with the same IP address or domain
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Can you give us the context in which you found the word "fold"?

The only thing that springs to mind is "Folding At Home" which is a sort of distributed computing project like SETI etc.

i suggest you read this page and many more pages like it

To Test Connections by Using Ping.exe
    You can use the ping command as a troubleshooting tool to sequentially test connectivity to various network resources. To ping a network host directly:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. Type ping IP address of the remote network host (for example, ping 192.168.1.104) or ping host name (for example, ping www.microsoft.com), and then press ENTER.
    3. Check for a reply that may look like this:
    Reply from 192.168.1.104: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=61
    If this message displays, the server is available on the network. If you are unable to contact the resource, you can troubleshoot the connection by using the ping command to test connectivity to various network resources:
    a. Ping the loopback address (by using the ping 127.0.0.1 command) to verify that TCP/IP is installed and working correctly on the local computer.
    b. Ping the IP address of the local computer to verify that it was added to the network correctly.
    c. Ping the IP address of the default gateway to verify that the gateway is functional and it is possible to connect to a local host on the local network. You can obtain the IP address of the local default gateway by using the ipconfig command.
    d. Ping the IP address of another remote host to verify that you can communicate through a router.

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

what exactly is the deal with folding? i was reading some tutorial the other day and the author mentioned that he uses his scheduler to run programs at night
    1:30 AM Disk Cleanup || 2:00 AM Scandisk || 2:30 AM Defrag || 3:30 AM FAH
    what is FAH? the only pertinent thing that turned up on google was Folding at Home(F@H) which was some kind of distributed computing setup run by stanford university, but it involves dna research or something and i cant think of any reason that this guy would run it at 3:30 in the morning...

why not ? the program uses idle computer power....if he's asleep at 3:30 it's a perfect timero run the program, he doesn't the program to use his power while he's working on something....
    O.G at A.O

what exactly is the deal with folding? i was reading some tutorial the other day and the author mentioned that he uses his scheduler to run programs at night
    Yes, that is Folding at Home...............some sort of genetics research, looking into diseases like altzheimer's and such?

You run these things when your computer is not doing much. I would run it during the day but this guy is probably running heavy duty stuff at that time?

Maybe he only lets it "phone home" at night?

terms i dont know

I'm back. As a security issue and bcuz I think my computer is being monitored by others, I inquired about having someone look into seeing if someone was watching me and my accts. They said that there were links from some of my accts to others and that they couldn't tell who had linked to me bcuz there was a fold or folds placed and that blocked /hid what or who was going on. "Nothing can be done until the fold is removed,in the meantime I have leeched a ghost program to tell us when the fold status changes....."

"Sometimes the folds can be bypassed but its hard to do" I was told.

They told me that using proxies and ghost programs can't hide me bcuz this is DSL thru a hard phone line and they can ping my computer and monitor me. Does that make sense to anyone, I got lost in that , I am a newbie!

Regal Making Handler
    Sounds like you have been talking to the voice to head tinfoil hat wareing brigade. Just keep a look out for black helicopters.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry