linksys

Thread: linksys

linksys

Hi, This is more of a general question then any thing else. I know linksys used to support linux but I was just trying to find a linux driver on the linksys web site and i could not find one for my device no problem but when I looked around i could not find one for any device then I went into their tech help to see whats going on and I was told they only support windows now and that if i wanted to run linux buy from a different vendor ,WTF is that ! So i was just worndering I am completley insane and have been thinking linksys supported linux and hasn't or did that just stop supporting them. Also to make it weirder for a company that dosent support linux why is ther GPL Code center only have the downloads in linux formats.

Let me start by saying: " I have no clue if this works or not!"

I got this off the web in another forum. The guy said thanks like it worked so, if this is feasible for you, give it a try.

- download the windows drivers. Extract them to c:\temp\linksys
    - Now burn them or put them on a media or somthing so you can transfer these files over to linux (note: linux wont beable to extract the exe file)
    - Download ndiswrapper for linux located at http://sourceforge.net/project/show...?group_id=93482
    - Now make sure you have all the development tools installed in fedora
    - Now download dhcpcd from http://www.phystech.com/ftp/dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl4.tar.gz
    - Now make make sure all the files (*gz files, and linksys driver files) are in the root partition on the linux machine (/root/wireless_driver) if "wireless_driver" is not there make the directory (which u will have to do) "mkdir /root/wireless_driver"
    - now at the command prompt (terminal) go into the "wireless_driver" directory "cd /root/wireless_driver"
    - now type "tar xvfpz ndiswrapper-0.12.tar.gz"
    - "cd ndiswrapper-0.12"
    - "make install"
    - "cd .."
    - "tar xvfpz dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl4.tar.gz"
    - "cd dhcpcd-1.3.22"
    - "./configure"
    - "make && make install"
    - "cd .."
    - "source /etc/profile" (note: you might want to edit root's .bashrc and add source /etc/profile there, some how fc3 doesnt have root source /etc/profile for some reason)
    - "cd /root/wireless_driver/WMP54GS_20040423/Drivers"
    - "ndiswrapper -i BCMWL5.inf"
    - "ls /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5" u should get a list of alot file in here
    - "modprobe ndiswrapper"
    - "dmesg wlan0" show see wlan0 if its there your good if not then somthings wrong - please post everything thats comes out of dmesg "dmesg > demout"
    - now for a little script open your favorite text editor and copy the following code:

#Sample ndiswrapper script - By: Derrick Rose

#Load ndiswrapper module
    echo "Starting Ndiswrapper Driver..."
    /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper

#Setup Essid
    echo "Setting up ESSID..."
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "your essid here"

#Setup WEP Key if you have one
    #Uncomment below for WEP
    #echo "Setting up KEY..."
    #iwconfig wlan0 yourkeyhere

#Setting up DHCP on wlan0
    echo "Starting DHCP on wlan0 [ 10 sec timeout ]"
    dhcpcd -t 10 wlan0

- the script above will setup your wireless card for. Now save this to a file in roots directory (/root) called wireless
    - "chmod +x wireless"
    - to run manually type "./wireless" as root
    - If you want to automaticly load on startup do the following
    - "cat wireless >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local"

hope this works for you, its the ndiswrapper method, somtimes this works if no linux drivers, we just use the windows driver on linux
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

well looks a little off to me using a windows driver for a linux driver but i will give it a try i guess. thanks.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Kthln01
    Let me start by saying: " I have no clue if this works or not!"
    I used ndiswrapper on my Suse 9.3 Professional Linux Distro. It took me probably around four hours to get it working correctly (but I was COMPLETELY new to Linux and this was my first night, so I don't think it was that bad) and once I got it working it actually functioned better than Windows XP's wireless. (I am running a dual boot.)

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Nice, I will try to get it working as soon as I get my Linux box working, I tryed to do a install of a slackwear 10.1 cuz i was running an older vershion and one of my disk iso immages wear messed up so i need to redownload and try again, But when i get it working i will post back.

Hoopy Frood
    Riot:
    The easiest way to do it is to go to this list: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...index.php/List
    Find a card in that list that has the same pciid as your card in your computer. (It will most likely have the same name as the card your computer is using, or very close to it.) Go and find the official drivers for that card.

I believe you find your pciid with this command: lspci -n

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

ok thanks, well thay have Card: Linksys #[WUSB11v4], 802.11b and mine is the WUSB11v2.8 so I hope it works.