Thread: Same slow computer... different problem

Angry Same slow computer... different problem

I posted a couple times last week about this same computer. I first thought I had a software prob. After trying several different things I resorted to reloading the OS... didn't help. With y'all's help I determined it was a hardware prob. I replaced the NIC because the integrated one went bad. That fixed one problem. But ever since the reload everything runs, loads, downloads, and scrolls very slowly. When I drag a window across the screen it jumps about an inch at a time instead of following the cursor smoothly.

It's an XP SP2. It has no apparent driver problems, and because I just reloaded the OS, I figured it has to be a hardware problem, right?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dp you have a video card ? If yes, then you need to disable the onboard graphics chipset in "Computer Management" or make sure that the PC is using the vide card and not the onboard chipset, Display Properties -> and see what the monitor is using, or if you don't have a vide card, maybe the graphics chipset drivers are not installed, go to display properties...go to the Settings Tab, click Advanced, and click the Adapter tab and see if the driver is listed there or if it just says <Unavailable>...
    O.G at A.O

You might want to goto the manufacturers website for your video card and download the driver for it and install it. The defaults that come with the OS sometimes can have issues.

AWESOME!!! Major props for this one man!
    The display properties were set up to use the correct driver. However, looking in the display properties got me thinking, so I looked at the resoloution and color settings... they were both set extremely low(like 600X480 with 8-bit color). When I turned them both up to normal (1024X768 with 32-bit) everything went back to normal.
    Big thanks, man! I didn't think to look in the display properties until you mentioned that.

You might want to goto the manufacturers website for your video card and download the driver for it and install it. The defaults that come with the OS sometimes can have issues.
    Yeah, I got the latest driver before I posted here. Thanks for the input.