Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IANA Special Use ????

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Not to make you paranoid, but I wouldn't put it beyond Linksys to have some sort of backdoor or callhome function in their router OS, to restore certain key settings. I don't think it's very likely, but certainly not impossible. If it shows up again...well, you'll have to draw your own conclusions.

BTW, you don't have UPnP enabled, do you? That would do it as well. And running P2P software on a UPnP enabled network...wow, that could be bad, if you had a shady or malware riddled client.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Katja
    ...This would allow me to use all kinds of tools to break into this wireless network and do what I like to do....
    If you are connected to someone's open wireless access point, there's little or no 'breaking in' to be done at that point.

But you are correct, if he's not using WPA/WPA2 or at least WEP to protect the network, it *is* wide open.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

No.... uPnP is disabled..... Yea... I am unprotected on my wireless... but the interface mode that the mystery addresses were using was LAN interfacce not wireless. Besides that, I can see when someone is connected via wireless. There are no "wardrivers" around here.... there are not even computer literate people in this area.... When people have computer problems... they come to me because even the IT professionals around here are illiterate and take advantage of the ignorance of people. I am positive it is not my wireless interface getting hacked.... and uPnP is disabled. Yea... would be typical for LinkSys to install a backdoor... with some wierd protcol I haven't ever heard of. I do not thing this is the case. So far, It hasn't come back... my routing table is still clean. My router has the possiblity of broadcasting, at most, 300 or 400 yds..... there are 3 houses in that radius and a church across the street..... I could see someone sitting out their with a laptop and I could see them connected to my network. I myself have also driven around with my wireless modem and found unprotected networks in a town around here..... I just do not think thats the case here.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Just a question on the side here... ZenCoder... did you ever do any "Dave" hacking or chat in any of the DSS, Dish, or BEV forums?

Banned
    Originally posted here by zencoder
    If you are connected to someone's open wireless access point, there's little or no 'breaking in' to be done at that point.

But you are correct, if he's not using WPA/WPA2 or at least WEP to protect the network, it *is* wide open.
    Actually, once you can access the Internet through the wireless router, you can also try to get access to any other computer that is connected to this router. You could, for example, use this to install some spyware on the computers of the owners of the wireless network. Once you're past the router, the real fun would be into getting into any other system that is connected to this router. And if you're about to get caught? Well, the wardriver is probably already located in his getaway car.

Well I would agree with you Katja if I were in the city or if I was illiterate on computers myself. What I ran across in my routing table is not a hacker... or a scipt kiddie... or a "wardriver". It is something that uses a special protocol that I have never heard of.... They are not connecting to my computers..... I keep an eye on my logs..... I just turned my router log on earlier to see if I could catch something. There is no person wasting gas in this 20 mile circle of a town trying to hack the only wireless connection within 20 miles..... Yea... if they got in via wireless and set up a backdoor... when they got home they could log in via their ISP. This is not what has happened... im positive.... the reason I asked this questions was because it is not some wannabe hacker trying to get into my network. It is either LinkSys... Bellsouth... or Microsoft. Or maybe something else similar to that. I am not an expert on wireless security but I do know a few things about windows networking and how it works..... the only linux computer I had on the internet got fried by lightning 2 days after I finally got it working.... So it is possible that unix computer is the one using my routing table. If it is... They are using my IP and router to hack into someone else... I understand this principle because I have done similar things myself. They are not trying to get into my computers.

Thanks,
    Nathan